Monday, May 13

UCLA women’s tennis wipes out Washington teams

The UCLA women’s tennis team had little trouble with the Washington schools this past weekend, defeating Washington State 7-0 on Friday and No. 18 Washington 6-1 on Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.

No. 5 UCLA (16-2, 3-0 Pac-10) used the same lineups against the Cougars (8-10, 1-3) and the Huskies (9-4, 1-3), featuring four top-100 singles players. Senior Yasmin Schnack, No. 4 in the country, defeated the Cougars’ and the Huskies’ top players in straight sets.

Juniors Andrea Remynse and Maya Johansson cruised through their matches, each dropping a single point. Johansson has been on a hot streak all season, winning all 14 of her singles matches. Equally dominant was freshman Pamela Montez, who improved to 13-0 in dual-match play.

UCLA also won all six doubles matches. The tandem of Schnack and Remynse, No. 5 in the country, downed the Cougars’ and Huskies’ top pairs 8-2 and 8-0, respectively. The tandems of junior Noelle Hickey with sophomore Nina Pantic, and Montez with sophomore Carling Seguso followed suit.

The Bruins have not surrendered a point to Washington State since 2005 and have not lost to Washington since 2003.

At 3-0, UCLA is currently first in the Pac-10. The only other team undefeated in conference matches is Stanford (13-1, 2-0), which the Bruins defeated earlier this season. UCLA faces California and Stanford this weekend.

Compiled by Jason Wang, Bruin Sports contributor.