Tuesday, May 21

Cancer prevention found in daily activities

UCLA Health System program educates general public on keeping disease at bay with basic steps

Sarah Khan / Daily Bruin

Information on new cancer prevention methods is extending beyond the research done at UCLA.

Curious individuals can soon learn how to make healthy lifestyle choices to aid in cancer prevention at an event called “Are You Worried About Cancer?”

The event, which will be held on June 2, is part of the UCLA Health System’s Community Health Programs and focuses on ways to lower cancer risks and on the importance of early cancer screenings.

The aim of the event is to show people how to integrate traditional methods of oncology with alternative, innovative methods for cancer prevention and recovery, said Dr. Shahryar Ashouri, a UCLA oncologist who will be speaking at the event.

The event will be held in Thousand Oaks, near UCLA’s Hematology and Oncology extension center in Westlake Village.

Ashouri, who works at the center in Thousand Oaks, said that his patients have shown interest in attending this event and are looking forward to learning more about alternative methods for cancer prevention.

The combination of traditional oncology with innovative cancer prevention methods is a technique that may be more advantageous for patients and those worried about getting cancer in the future, Ashouri said.

“We’re showing that doing one doesn’t preclude the other,” Ashouri said. “We believe that the two together are more beneficial.”

Traditional oncology refers to the methods of screening and treatment, such as chemotherapy, that most people are familiar with, he said.

For instance, early screening for colon cancer has become more of a possibility, Ashouri said.

This is due to the development of multiple different types of screening, called modalities, which result in a more thorough search and detection of cancer, he added.

Innovative oncology refers to newly developed methods which can help with both cancer recovery and cancer prevention, said Dr. Mary Hardy, medical director of the Simms/Mann UCLA Center for Integrative Oncology, who will speak at the event.

Lowering the risk of getting cancer in the future usually involves lifestyle choices that generally improve the health of a person, Hardy said.

These changes include adopting a regular exercise routine and learning to manage stress levels through relaxation exercises such as yoga, Hardy said.

Relaxation training is one of the new methods that doctors at the integrative oncology center implement.

Some may consider watching television to be relaxing, Hardy said.

But real relaxation training involves a physiologic change in state, where patients can become healthier just by changing their rate of breathing and muscle tension, she added.

In many cases, making small and simple lifestyle changes can be an easy and effective way to lower the risk for cancer, said Jonathan Gromis, a fourth-year history student and founder of a student group called Cures for Cancer.

“zIt is a little bit of a change, but I don’t think it’s too hard. (For instance), my skin gets very dry. All I have to do is use a moisturizer (that also has) SPF,” Gromis said, in reference to preventing sun damage and skin cancer.

But some societal pressures may tempt people to fall into unhealthy habits, Hardy said.

“People go home and sit in front of TVs or video games, and junk food is so widely available and cheap,” she said. “You really have to work to push yourself towards things that are healthier.”

While there may be a lot of information presented to the public about how to lower the risk for cancer, it is important to pay attention to what has the most scientific backing and credibility, Ashouri said.

Talking directly to medical professionals and finding credible sources of information are some ways to do this, Gromis said.

The information covered in the event comes from research known to improve cancer treatment and prevention, Hardy said.