Monday, May 13

McGraw, Kidder lead women’s volleyball team to victories over Oregon State, Oregon

For the first time in 2010 Pac-10 play, the UCLA women’s volleyball had a two-win weekend.

After beating the Oregon State Beavers in four sets on Friday, the Bruins got their second win in a sweep against the Oregon Ducks on Saturday night.

The No. 11 Bruins (15-5, 5-4 Pac-10) fought with the No. 16 Ducks (16-5, 4-5) in a close first set en route to their 25-23, 25-17, 25-18 win. After going up 24-20 and being one point away from taking the set, the Bruins let the Ducks score three straight points before UCLA senior outside hitter Dicey McGraw, who led the Bruins in kills for the match with 16, gave her team a 25-23 opening set win with a kill.

In the second, UCLA was able to pull away earlier, and stretched its lead to eight at 18-10. From there, the Bruins’ lead never dipped below six, and junior middle blocker Katie Camp hit the set-clinching kill, giving the Bruins a 25-17 win in a second set in which the Bruins hit .400.

Oregon jumped out to an early lead in the third, but UCLA took the lead for good at 9-8. Leading 16-14, the Bruins scored six straight points, and McGraw sealed the sweep with a set and match-winning kill. UCLA hit .330 for the match, while holding Oregon to a .191 clip.

On Friday, UCLA got its first win of the weekend, beating Oregon State 25-13, 25-23, 23-25, 25-14. The Bruins were led by sophomore opposite Rachael Kidder, whose 23 kills were two shy of the career-high she set in the Bruins’ five-set upset win over then-No. 1 Stanford on Oct. 9.

After its double-digit first set victory, UCLA held off Oregon State (8-15, 1-8) in a close second set. With a 23-19 Bruin lead, the Beavers scored three straight to get to within one point. UCLA then scored two of the next three points, and a Kidder kill gave the Bruins the set.

Oregon State got out to a quick lead in the third and stayed ahead most of the set. Up 24-23, the Beavers got the set victory on a UCLA attack error. Oregon State junior outside hitter Dre Shaw led the Beavers with five kills in the third, and hit 13 kills in the match.

After Oregon State scored the first point of the fourth, UCLA went on a 9-0 run, and never looked back on its way to a 25-14 win. The Bruins hit .278 for the match, while the Beavers hit .157.