Friday, May 17

Women’s soccer misses out on chance for win against Washington at home

Usually around this time of the year, the winning column for the UCLA women’s soccer team is occupied by a double-digit figure.

But as of Friday, that was not the case, as UCLA was denied its 10th win of the season in a 1-0 loss to Washington at Drake Stadium.

The Huskies (11-6-1, 4-3) netted in the eventual game-winner early on in the 18th minute on a one-on-one situation. Washington’s junior forward Alex Webber dribbled up the field on a breakaway, dashing toward the UCLA post before slipping the ball past redshirt junior goalkeeper Chante’ Sandiford and into the net for the score.

The Bruins (9-7-1, 2-4 Pac-10) attempted to battle back on several occasions. Senior midfielder Kylie Wright intercepted the ball on a Washington possession in the 27th minute and fed it to sophomore forward Zakiya Bywaters, who penetrated deep into Husky territory toward the endline before firing off a shot that hit the left side of the net.

And just one minute before the end of the first half, sophomore midfielder Chelsea Cline got a clean look at the goal from the top of the box, blasting a shot on target that landed into the arms of Husky redshirt junior goalkeeper Jorde LaFontaine-Kussmann.

Webber nearly scored again for Washington in the 62nd minute in a similar situation, but her header attempt on a breakaway hit the right side of the post and out of play.

The Bruins went on to outshoot the Huskies 14-7 for the evening but were not able to convert, despite having five of the 14 shot attempts placed on goal.

UCLA returns to Drake Stadium on Sunday against Washington State for its last home game of the regular season.