Friday, May 17

In its first challenge in the NCAA Tournament, the confident men’s soccer team takes on Sacramento State Hornets

Confident, close men's team looks forward to challenge of NCAA Tournament

Freshman midfielder Kelyn Rowe and the eighth-seeded Bruins will take on the Sacramento State Hornets in the second round of the playoffs on Sunday. The Bruins and the Hornets also met in the second round of the 2009 NCAA Tournament.

Alexis Fogel

Men’s soccer

Sacramento state
Sunday, 5 p.m.
Drake Stadium
Follow GameTracker on uclabruins.com

After getting a first-round bye, No. 8 seed UCLA opens postseason play on Sunday.

The poker face is back on captain Andy Rose’s face, but his expression is not one that hides apprehension.

Instead, it masks confidence, which has helped carry the Bruins through four straight victorious road matches to end the season.

But it’s also an expression shared by the rest of the team, and as No. 8 seed UCLA (14-4-1) takes on the Sacramento State Hornets (11-4-7) in the second round of the NCAA Men’s Soccer Tournament on Sunday, it certainly looks to wear that business face until its objective is complete.

Previous years have seen the Bruins stumble into the postseason, but this team asserts that this year is different.

“The difference between this team and teams in the past two years is that we are a very, very close unit and it’s tough to break us down,” Rose said.

But junior Hornet forward Chris Bettencourt, who scored the game-winning goal against Santa Clara Thursday, poses a threat to the Bruin backline.

“(Sacramento State) came down last year and gave us a heck of a game, and (it’s going to be) basically the same as last year,” UCLA coach Jorge Salcedo said.

“You look at the seeds and take a look at the first-round games ““ there (are) no easy games. We look forward to the challenge.”

The Bruins were able to escape the Hornets 2-1 off of a late Chandler Hoffman goal last year to advance to the third round of the NCAA playoffs, and they have the same opportunity this year.

The winner will play against the winner of Notre Dame and Dartmouth on Nov. 28, and the Bruins are ready for that chance.

“The last road games for us, closing out the Pac-10, definitely got us good momentum,” said redshirt junior goalkeeper Brian Rowe.

“It showed that we can score goals and play well offensively, and, in tough situations, to get wins when we need to. So I’m definitely confident with our guys to have what it takes to make a long run in the tournament.”

This year, the team’s unity has a different ring to it as well: As tradition has symbolically held previous teams together in their usual pregame huddles, the one that will play on Sunday will bear the most semblance to a complete unit.

“Sometimes, we’ve won knowing that it’s because of that unity we have,” Rose said. “What this means (to us) and who we are, going to go in there together as a unit ““ I’m sure we’ll be a very tough team to beat.”

UCLA has won four NCAA titles, most recently in 2002, yet the team has advanced to the College Cup 12 times. With UC Santa Barbara hosting the College Cup and slotted on the other side of the bracket, there could be a very special national championship matchup on Dec. 12 if both teams advance that far.

“The whole season is preparation for the postseason,” Salcedo said. “Our guys have gotten better every week. We are healthy now, and are excited to play at home. We love playing here at home ““ Sunday evening under the lights, we’ll be well-rested.”