The end of the NCAA Tournament run for UCLA women’s soccer

The UCLA women's soccer team falls in the third round to No. 1 Stanford in a 3-0 shutout

Senior defender Lauren Barnes traps the ball in UCLA's 2-1 second-round victory over Central Florida. The Bruins lost in the third round to Stanford on Friday, 3-0.

Evan Luxenberg

For the first four minutes, the Bruins’ hopes of a win still flickered alive.

But Stanford would quickly take the early lead on a UCLA own goal in the ensuing minute. And as the match progressed, the chances of an upset grew dimmer, until the top-seeded Cardinal dealt the UCLA women’s soccer team a 3-0 dousing on a rainy Friday night in Palo Alto.

The turn of events was a resonating reminder of the growing pains that the Bruins have had to deal with this season. Ultimately, the handful of early-season losses cost them in the playoffs, placing UCLA on the same side of the bracket as the still-undefeated Cardinal.

“At times, we played some very good soccer,” coach Jillian Ellis said. “Now, it’s a challenge for the players who continue to move forward in the program to … realize that we potentially won’t be playing the No. 1 seed in the third round if we can week in and week out bring the same level of performance that we brought toward the end of the season.”

The loss ended UCLA’s streak of seven consecutive College Cup appearances. But more importantly, perhaps, was the fact it also signaled the end to the collegiate careers of seven senior players.

“Our senior class has been amazing; we had all types of players for our senior class, so it was unbelievable,” senior defender Lauren Barnes said.

Barnes, as well as senior midfielder Kylie Wright, has been a staple of the Bruin team for the past four years. For Wright, her final season with UCLA has been a cherished one, despite the disappointing ending.

“It’s been a roller-coaster season for us,” she said. “There have been some ups and some downs, but through it all everyone stayed strong. … It’s been an awesome season for me; I’ve learned a lot.”

On the other hand, this year’s team was relatively young, meaning the rest of the Bruins will return next season one year older and one year wiser.

“The depth of the team this year was a strength,” Ellis said. “We had a lot more players contribute which is an investment in not just the players who are here, but also the future.”

And if there is one certainty of Ellis’ teams, it’s that they have always been among elite company.

In other words, it wouldn’t be all too surprising if next season marks the start of another College Cup stretch.

With reports by Mansi Sheth, Bruin Sports contributor.