Women’s soccer players earn national honors

For the first time in eight years, the UCLA women’s soccer team missed out on a trip to the NCAA Women’s College Cup this season, falling short in the round of 16 to top-seeded Stanford.

But while No. 4-seeded Notre Dame was busy celebrating its win over the Cardinal in the championship match in Cary, N.C., some good news came the Bruins’ way as well.

Senior defender Lauren Barnes and junior forward Sydney Leroux were both named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America’s All-America Third Team, it was announced Sunday. It marks the first time in her career that Barnes was selected to an All-American team, while Leroux was awarded such merit for the second time after having achieved the same feat last season.

Barnes had arguably her best overall season this year. Long known as a defensive stalwart, she emerged the leader of a starting backline that, save for Barnes and fellow senior Elise Britt, regularly consisted of freshmen and sophomore players. Offensively, she totaled a career-high 16 points this season, registering five goals to go along with six assists.

For Leroux, it marks the second national accolade the star striker has received this season. Earlier in the year, Leroux was invited to join the full U.S. Women’s National Team for training camp in Kennesaw, Ga. She finished the season with a team-high 13 goals on the year.

Both players were named to the Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy Watch List earlier this season.