Tuesday, May 21

Concert review: Purity Ring

Courtesy of Judy Miller

Lenika Cruz / Daily Bruin

Purity Ring
Sept. 3
FYF Fest (L.A. State Historic Park)
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.png

Never mind the fact that the electronic duo from New York had to play their set in the tiny Splinter’s Den also known as “The Tent.” With just a handful of tracks, Purity Ring mesmerized the audience members, many of whom wasted no time lighting up and rolling into a collective groove. As a light haze of smoke settled over the audience, Purity Ring began with chiming, trembling, bass-heavy “Lofticries,” the track which first garnered the duo’s popularity. Singer Megan James’ airy, confectionery-sweet voice swirled effortlessly through Corin Roddick’s moaning synths and beats that were alternately stuttering and smooth.

It was hard to imagine that James was singing lyrics like “Dear brother, collect all the liquids off the floor / Use your oily fingers / Make a paste, let it form.” The song’s weird fascination with viscosity is a little gross, but wholly appropriate. When James sings “Let it seep through your sockets and earholes into your precious, fractured skull,” it’s more like an order to absorb the music. As if the audience had a choice.

Purity Ring also played a new track “Belispeak,” which embodies a sound that is at once faster, slower and more danceable than “Lofticries.” When James sang, her eyes were wide open, almost manic, as though spellbound by her own voice. Roddick’s strong hip-hop influence was perceptible in the track’s hypnotic rhythm, which never settled into monotony. Two female audience members climbed on a platform near the stage and began dancing enthusiastically. The security guards did not stop them.

Fans waiting patiently for the duo’s most catchy and enjoyable song were rewarded when Purity Ring played “Ungirthed” as the closer. The distinctive first notes elicited wild cheers from the crowd. As James sang, another deep ghoul-like voice and some childish ghost-like sighs echo in the background, never quite forming words. It was an odd yet enchanting harmony.

When James sang “Ears ringing teeth clicking ears ringing teeth clicking,” it was deliciously onomatopoeic. Roddick flung his head about joyfully, clearly struck by how good his music sounded live. And really, Purity Ring is not a band whose music gets old even after numerous repeats. While remixes outnumber original songs, it’s easy to see why the duo’s music inspires other musicians. Their lyrics have an overwhelmingly tactile quality, and when Purity Ring played live, the synesthesia was blessedly total.

Email Cruz at [email protected].