Tuesday, May 21

Soundbite: "Never Trust a Happy Song"

Credit: Atlantic Recording Corporation

Andrew Bain / Daily Bruin

Never Trust a Happy Song
Grouplove
Atlantic Recording Corporation
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.png

Sweet tea is the perfect beverage for the end of summer. It has the slightly acidic bite of the iced tea, as well as a kick of sweetness from what must surely be an unhealthy amount of sugar. But the two flavors must be balanced; too much of either one, and the beverage tastes a bit off. It is from this lack of balance that Grouplove’s “Never Trust a Happy Song” sometimes suffers.

Released just in time to be summer music’s last hurrah, “Never Trust a Happy Song” is about 45 minutes of mostly, well, happy songs. And for the most part, this is okay. In fact, the band plays every track with such energy and conviction that the listener can’t help but invest in every happy song thrown at them. It is only after about three-fourths of the album that the listener realizes that much of the album sounds similar.

The album starts off well with “Itchin’ On a Photograph,” one of the most emotionally compelling songs on the album. It begins with rhythmic clapping and an electric guitar riff that immediately signal to listeners that they are in store for some upbeat music.

Then, as per the title of the album, the song turns listeners on their heels by telling a story of loss and longing. Sung high, fast and loud, “Itchin’ On a Photograph” is surprisingly emotional for such an up-tempo song, making it all the more effective.

Grouplove then moves on with “Tongue Tied,” a song which begins with a Miike Snow-esque electronic melody before introducing a lyrical theme which reappears periodically throughout the album: singing about normal, everyday actions. In the case of this song, for example, “Take me to your best friend’s house.” And while the song won’t blow listeners away with its lyrical depth, it is catchy.

A couple of songs later, “Colours” once again deceives with its happy and upbeat facade. The lyrics include mention of a suicide, but proceed to reassure listeners anyway: “No need to be sad / It really ain’t bad.”
At this point, the album takes a brief but needed turn with “Slow,” a refreshing change of pace. Aptly titled, “Slow” is echoing and airy, with outstanding female vocals which stay relaxed and flowing in spite of instrumentals that gradually speed up. The result is almost cinematic.

“Naked Kids,” the next song on the album, is a definitive return to the style of songs before “Slow.” Its lyrics tell the story of a group of friends driving to the beach and skinny dipping before leaving the beach to have more fun elsewhere, reveling in the freedom of summer. It is one of the most purely joyful songs about summer to be released this season, and probably in the last several years.

At this point, unfortunately, the album falters a bit. The next few upbeat songs simply cannot equal the energy of “Naked Kids” and the album becomes a bit uninteresting and repetitive as a result, with the exception of one song.

“Cruel and Beautiful World” is the one legitimate ballad on the album and, though it comes a bit too late to fully refresh listeners, it is nonetheless a beautiful and well-executed song that champions the noble idea that people can handle any obstacle the world throws their way if they have someone to love.

Though flawed and a bit unbalanced at times, Grouplove’s “Never Trust a Happy Song” is a worthy finale to the summer and is fit to be played as a defiant soundtrack to any moving day.

Email Bain at [email protected].