Daily Bruin Editorial Board’s goal is to present student voices on issues affecting UCLA students

The editorial board is composed of multiple Daily Bruin staff members and is dedicated to publishing informed opinions on issues relevant to students. The board serves as the official voice of the paper and is separate from the newsroom.

Welcome, Bruins, to another year at UCLA. In one week, the campus has transformed from a languid, quiet collection of buildings into a busy hub that bolsters about 30,000 students.

With its largest freshman class to date walking through classroom doors, UCLA now, more than ever, is home to a diverse group of individuals, each with unique opinions and points of view.

Last year, our campus dealt with hefty fee increases, public backlash and student controversies ““ and through it all, students faced analyses from strangers at CNN, ABC and other national news outlets.

Rather than allow unfamiliar media sources to analyze campus climate, the Daily Bruin believes students should provide personal input on the situations that directly affect them.

Our campus is amid a climate of change that will likely incite intense responses from students and administrators alike, and the Daily Bruin Editorial Board will serve as the paper’s official voice on such controversial matters.

The board will strive to preserve a student voice while publishing editorials that address issues directly affecting UCLA students, be it student government policies, student fee increases, Westwood parking or national education legislation. Editorials will run in the Opinion section every Tuesday and Friday.

The board is comprised of four staff representatives and four standing members that include the editor in chief, managing editor, opinion editor and news editor. Board members are well-versed in the latest campus policies, Westwood news and national politics. In addition to remaining up-to-date, members bring in different perspectives and backgrounds in varied facets of the paper that go well beyond reporting and writing.

But as investigative and invested as board members are, the board can only do its job to the best of its ability when students reach out to us, letting us know what questions they want asked and what topics they want addressed.

In the interest of bringing recent developments to our readers’ attention, the editorial board will meet with Chancellor Gene Block on a quarterly basis. Board members want to use these meetings to provide students with a unique opportunity: to submit your questions to a major UCLA official. The board wants to use these meetings to ask the chancellor student-generated questions. Contact us via Twitter, Facebook, email or dailybruin.com, and tell us what you want the editorial board to cover this year.

Make your voice heard ““ we will listen.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board