BruinBill credit card fees justified

The editorial board is composed of multiple Daily Bruin staff members and is dedicated to publishing informed opinions on issues relevant to students. The board serves as the official voice of the paper and is separate from the newsroom.

For years, UCLA has covered the extra fees applied to every BruinBill payment students make using their credit cards.

Now, in an effort to cut costs, UCLA has transferred the fees onto students by implementing a 2.75 percent convenience fee for BruinBill credit card payments, which cover tuition, housing, parking permits and other items.

Though this extra charge may seem far from convenient, the university shouldered the burden of paying $6.5 million for those credit card fees for 17 years. The money UCLA will save, coupled with other available payment methods, justifies the university’s decision.

Instituting a convenience fee may seem inconsiderate as tuition rates increase, but the money helps UCLA regain revenue to make up for declining state funds.

Admittedly, the amount UCLA will save doesn’t come near the $650 million chopped from the UC in this year’s budget.

Still, it is a relief that the money has been reinvested in academic programs, especially as class sizes rise and majors have fewer requirements.

For years, many other colleges have placed the convenience fee payment on their students. UCLA falls in line with universities across the nation, many of whom are in similar economic straits.

In response to the new fee, the university is offering two other payment options ““ using electronic checks or a plan that allows students to spread out payments. These payment methods show that UCLA is making a good attempt to mitigate the fee’s consequences.

However, these options are more inconvenient than paying with a simple credit card, especially now that students with Visa cards are forced to use them. Visa was eliminated as an accepted form of payment, based on the company’s unwillingness to use a convenience charge to process payments.

To avoid paying the fee, students should take the initiative to follow one of the alternative plans, especially the eCheck option, which is simple to set up. More information can be found on the Student Financial Services website.

We do believe that the university’s attempts to publicize the new fees could have been improved. Even though an email was sent out describing the change, students deserve to know the particulars of why the convenience fee was added and where the money will go.

Though data about the alternative payment plans has not yet been released, this figure will give a better idea of the new system’s popularity and acceptance among students. Once this information is available, the university should follow-up on their initial publicizing measures to make sure they are adequate.

While an additional fee in these economic times is never ideal, this must be seen as a regrettable concession to help the university weather the financial storm.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board.