Pac-12 standing also takes a hit after UCLA-Arizona football game

Sophomore Cassius Marsh participates in last Thursday's halftime brawl.

Morgan Glier

The image of UCLA and Arizona players scattered in altercations from end zone to end zone made waves through the Internet not long after the bench-clearing incident happened Thursday night.

The precursor to the altercation, a streaker disguised as a referee who made his way out of the Arizona Stadium crowd, was something UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel could only describe as “bizarre” during his Monday press conference. As he sees it, if that rogue fan isn’t baring his all on the turf, the fight doesn’t happen.

“I think if anybody was watching on national television, they could see that there were some really unusual circumstances that led to it,” Neuheisel said.

“The officials are terrific in terms of stopping that stuff. … In this particular circumstance, for bizarre reasons, these officials, who were standing about 5 feet from where it happened, had attention diverted and weren’t in position to do what they do on an almost every-game basis.”

With half a week to digest the 48-12 loss, Neuheisel didn’t seem worried about his team’s image, even after the fight became a national talking point partly because of the game’s prime time slot on ESPN.

While the Bruins’ image might not have taken a hit, their standing in the Pac-12 South certainly did.

Entering Thursday, UCLA was in position to move up into a three-way tie atop the division with Arizona State, on a bye and USC, playing a nonconference game.

“I think maybe too much was made of the race,” Neuheisel admitted.

UCLA now sits at 2-2, 3-4 overall, heading into Saturday’s home game against California.

The Bears open as 6-point favorites. Coincidentally, six Bruins have been suspended by the Pac-12 for the game.

Lucien doubtful

With four Bruin wide receivers suspended for the Cal game, UCLA is down to just two experienced wideouts: senior Nelson Rosario and redshirt senior Josh Smith. Devin Lucien remains “less than likely” to play. Neuheisel intended to redshirt the true freshman ““ a Crespi product and one of the Bruins’ top 2011 recruits ““ and plans to stay the course.

“It is (a possibility that Lucien would play), but probably less than likely, just because all of these guys are going to be back one game from now,” Neuheisel said. “There was a reason to redshirt Devin, and I don’t think it’s the prudent thing to do for a one-game deal.”

Neuheisel added that redshirt sophomore walk-on Jerry Rice Jr. and F-back Jordon James could see time at wide receiver.

He also said that redshirt junior Jerry Johnson could see action. Johnson broke his left ankle nearly a year ago and has only lightly practiced of late.

Pac-12 in the BCS

With the help of some former undefeated teams falling this weekend, Stanford (7-0, 5-0 Pac-12) moved up to No. 6 in the latest Bowl Championship Series rankings. No. 7 Oregon (6-1, 4-0) is ranked as the nation’s best one-loss team. Arizona State (5-2, 3-1) at No. 21 is the last Pac-12 team in the rankings.