Saturday, May 18

UCLA football, men’s basketball players sign petition asking NCAA for a cut in TV revenues

Redshirt junior punter Jeff Locke, seen here in the game against San Jose State, collected signatures for the NCPA petition from members of the football and men's basketball teams here and from other schools around the country. Locke collected more than 300 signatures in total in support of the petition.

Evan Luxenberg

Student-athletes already receive compensation in the form of an athletic scholarship, but should they receive more?

That debate is as divisive as the hostile rivalries that typify college sports, but this week it took a new turn when it was the student-athletes themselves speaking up.

In advance of the NCAA Division I Board of Directors meeting on Thursday, the National College Players Association released a petition Monday outlining certain reforms requested in the college sports world.

The NCPA, a Riverside-based organization that aims “to provide the means for college athletes to voice their concerns and change NCAA rules,” is trying to do just that by fulfilling its entire mission statement with the petition.

On the football field, Jeff Locke doubles as the Bruins’ punter and kickoff specialist. Off the field, he doubles as a student and a member of the NCPA players’ council.

After the petition was deliberated for months over weekly conference calls, Locke got it signed by 70 of his fellow football players and the entire 17-man roster of the men’s basketball team. In all, more than 300 signatures were gathered from Arizona, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Purdue and UCLA student-athletes, all football or men’s basketball players.

“It was tough,” Locke said. “I’m working in season right now, midterms are right now, so it was kind of tough for me to branch out to other schools. … I really did wish we had more time to get it done, but I think we had a really good turnout with 300 guys signing it in such a small time frame.”

The impetus in asking for change: the $775 million in recently acquired TV revenues due in no small part to revenue-generating football and men’s basketball teams. The Pac-12 recently signed off on a TV deal with ESPN and Fox totaling $2.7 billion over 12 years.

The NCPA’s petition outlines five points, the most attention-grabbing involving the institution of an “educational lock box” which would provide student-athletes money upon receiving their degree.

Some could point to the money as an example of paying players, which would stray from the definition of amateurism the NCAA upholds.

Locke doesn’t see it that way, as the money would be put in a trust fund of sorts and only available to players who have earned their degrees or those who have finished playing and need money to finish their undergraduate education.

“It’s almost more of an incentive program to obtain their degree,” Locke said.

In addition, the petition calls for an increase in the cost of a scholarship by an average of $3,200 ““ a figure equal to the average out-of-pocket school expenses student-athletes are required to pick up.

The petition also urges the NCAA to change from one-year to multiyear athletic scholarships. It also asks for assurance that athletes injured in the field of play will not lose their scholarship or be forced to pick up medical expenses.

While the petition was not discussed at Thursday’s meeting with the Board of Directors added: of Directors and NCAA President Mark Emmert, there was some progress made in favor of the players. A $2,000 addition in spending money was approved, as was a change to multiyear scholarships, both on an optional basis.

“I think that Jeff and all the youngsters standing up for what they believe is right, is a good thing and a great learning experience,” coach Rick Neuheisel said. “As I heard the president say, it’s time for an added subsidy for the youngsters.”

In short, the student-athletes’ signatures mean their answer to the above question is a resounding yes. According to Locke, the issue that’s just as important, the one that comes first in the NCPA’s mission statement, is the one of athletes having a voice.

“Getting a lot of info from Jeff and learning more, there are things that are pretty interesting,” said redshirt junior tight end Joseph Fauria, who signed the petition. “People in the NCAA are realizing that (student-athletes) have a voice, and it’s only going to get stronger and stronger.”