Kevin Prince key in football's defeat of Cal

Though throwing for only 92 yards on Saturday, redshirt junior quarterback Kevin Prince had a break out game on the ground with 19 carries for 163 yards, making him the game’s leading rusher.

Tim Bradbury

PASADENA “”mdash; Kevin Prince’s injury history is well documented.

He missed seven games a season ago with a knee injury, he broke his jaw during a game in 2009 and he has missed time this season with a sprained shoulder.

That being the case, most would have thought coach Rick Neuheisel’s game plan for UCLA’s 31-14 win over California Saturday at the Rose Bowl was insane.

“I told him I want 100 (rushing) yards,” Neuheisel said of his redshirt junior quarterback. “I told him he cannot run not to get hurt. He did as we asked and that’s always fun as a coach to get guys to battle like that.”

Prince far exceeded Neuheisel’s goal. He was the Bruins’ leading rusher on Saturday, and it wasn’t even close. He totaled 163 yard on 19 carries while senior running back Derrick Coleman was the runner up with 80 yards.

“I can live with (redshirt junior running back Johnathan Franklin) getting 100 but when quarterbacks get 100 and I don’t, I get kind of mad,” Coleman said jokingly, who finished with three touchdowns on the ground.

Cal’s defense repeatedly locked up the running back on UCLA’s read-option plays that play a large role in Neuheisel’s pistol offense, forcing Prince to keep the ball.

Admittedly, Prince started the game by running tentatively, fearful to take a big hit, but as the game wore on, he started to run more aggressively. He gained 12 and 32 yards respectively on consecutive first-down runs in the fourth quarter.

“Running against Arizona last week, I was a little more cautious,” Prince said. “Coach Neuheisel told me not to worry about that and just to run as hard as I can.”

Neuheisel brought the pistol to UCLA before last season, taking its concepts from Nevada and coach Chris Ault. Nevada and Ault have turned out to be the gift that keeps on giving for Neuheisel. He and Prince studied tape from the Wolf Pack’s 52-31 thrashing of the Golden Bears last season to plan for Prince’s big game.

“That’s the pistol right there,” Prince said. “We watched the Nevada game when they played Cal last year and what Colin Kaepernick was doing – I just tried to emulate that. This was huge for us.”

Change of pace

With six UCLA players serving Pac-12 mandated suspensions this week, the coaching staff was forced to get creative with its position players.

Sophomore defensive tackle Cassius Marsh missed Saturday’s game as the first half of his two-game suspension. Redshirt junior defensive end Datone Jones moved inside to tackle after playing just two plays at end and came up with two sacks.

“You get the exact same blocks no matter where you are on the line,” Jones said of his new position. “I’m strong. I fit the profile. I wasn’t worried about the number of sacks I was going to get. My only objective was to dominate.”

Jones’ move freed up space for redshirt freshman linebacker Aramide Olaniyan to fill the void at end and come away with a tackle for loss on a third down late in the third quarter.

“That’s the black widow,” Jones said of his replacement. “When he’s about to get a sack, the only thing the quarterback can do is step up and I’m there.”

Injury update

Sophomore safety Dietrich Riley was carted off the field on a stretcher after lowering his head on a tackle and injuring his neck in the fourth quarter, stopping play for over five minutes.

He gave the “thumbs up” sign as he left the field and all preliminary tests were negative. He was still at Huntington Hospital on Saturday night undergoing more tests but he has full movement and sensation in all of his extremities.

Redshirt junior punter Jeff Locke injured his right shoulder in Saturday’s game but X-rays were negative.

Senior wide receiver Nelson Rosario had cramping issues in his left leg during the second half but returned to finish the game.