Occupy UCLA needs more focus to be effective

The editorial board is composed of multiple Daily Bruin staff members and is dedicated to publishing informed opinions on issues relevant to students. The board serves as the official voice of the paper and is separate from the newsroom.

The “Occupy” movement has begun to filter onto college campuses, and UCLA is no exception. But the campus movement is lackluster, symptomatic of the unorganized, unfocused nature of the nationwide protests.

While complaints of government and corporate corruption may be valid, protesters have not presented a united front when addressing these issues. Similarly, they haven’t proposed valid alternatives or ideas for change.

The Occupy UCLA movement has fallen victim to the same fate. UCLA’s movement professes to mobilize students and educate them about future tuition increases and the evils of non-student union banks.

But when asked about specific events, organizers seemed unsure of everything from times and locations to guest speakers. Generating student interest requires a well-thought-out plan.

When asked to explain the movement’s goals on campus, Occupy UCLA organizer Joseph Silva attempted to explain the plethora of issues the protests aim to address.

“My speech is all over the place, just like the occupation,” said the third-year history student.

Yet it’s admirable that organizers are attempting to make a stand on important issues such as tuition hikes. Organizers aim to mobilize students against hikes that could raise fees to $22,000 in a matter of four years. But to generate change, protesters must be organized and effective, so their voices will be heard by those higher-up.

For the past few days, an Occupy UCLA booth has been set up near the Bruin statue, and the group has attracted, at best, a meager portion of the student population in that time.

While members of disparate student groups were able to aggregate and put together Tuesday’s protest, a discussion and silent march against Proposition 209 organized in just one week, a mere two students manned the Occupy UCLA table a few feet away.

Organizers should take cues from well-established student groups and increase visibility. While Occupy UCLA has reached out via Facebook and Twitter, that’s simply not enough. Organizers should flier on Bruin Walk, publicize their events and plan ahead.

The UCLA movement must consolidate its goals and hone in on its feelings about potential yearly tuition increases to engender a response from students for a problem that could directly affect them.

Reciprocally, students must overcome an inherent disinterest and apathy regarding political and economic developments. It shouldn’t take a nationwide movement to mobilize UCLA students about salient issues that directly affect this campus.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board.