Women’s soccer seeks second shot at NCAA title

After last year's disappointing second-round loss, the Bruins look to redeem themselves

Rising sophomore midfielder Sam Mewis will be in charge of orchestrating things offensively in the coming season.

Tim Bradbury

WOMEN'S SOCCER SEASON PREVIEW: KEY RETURNERS

Katelyn Rowland
Rising sophomore
A team can't just survive with good offense, and Rowland's goalkeeping is a key part of the defense. She will be counted on next season.

Ally Courtnall
Rising sophomore
With the loss of leading goal-scorer Sydney Leroux, Courtnall looks to be the offensive strongpoint of this year's squad. As a freshman, Courtnall finished tied for second on the team with six goals scored.

The UCLA women’s soccer team that steamrolled through much of its competition in 2011 was anchored by fresh-faced newcomers and a first-time coach. This year’s team, armed with a little more experience, looks poised to have another dominant season.

The Bruins’ only defeat last year came at the hands of eventual national champion Stanford during conference play. UCLA will host the Cardinal this year on Oct. 28.

A competitive force in the Pac-12 for the past few years, Stanford will return the majority of its starting lineup, including rising sophomore standout Chioma Ubogagu. However, the graduation of several key scorers could hinder its offensive abilities.

The Bruins have their own losses to deal with as well. The departure of veteran Sydney Leroux, the team’s leading scorer since 2009, will leave a gap up front that UCLA will need to fill in order to score consistently.

Rising sophomore Ally Courtnall showed a keen awareness for the goal last season, scoring six goals in 19 appearances. Like Leroux in years past, she may be the one UCLA depends on to find the back of the net for the Bruins.

Midfield orchestrators rising sophomore Sam Mewis and rising junior Jenna Richmond will also be instrumental in setting the offensive tempo for the Bruins this upcoming season.

UCLA’s stellar defensive line, which held opponents to just 12 goals the entire season, will return all four of its starters, along with rising sophomore goalkeeper Katelyn Rowland.

Eight newcomers will join the returning players. This year’s recruiting class is offensively minded, featuring five forwards including Taylor Smith, ranked No. 8 nationally, and No. 13 overall recruit Kodi Jo Lavrusky.

With the addition of the eight incoming freshmen, UCLA’s youth-dominant 2012 squad features 22 of 30 players that will hold either freshman or sophomore status.

After last year’s disappointing second-round loss to San Diego, there is no doubt that this year’s Bruins will be motivated to make a much deeper run in the NCAA tournament.

Compiled by Mansi Sheth, Bruin Sports senior staff.