Senior water polo players eager to finish UCLA careers with national title

Goalkeeper Matt Rapacz is one of several seniors on the men's water polo team who are looking to win a title for UCLA in their final year.

Emma Coghlan / Daily Bruin

Men’s Water Polo

UCLA Invitational
Saturday, Time TBA
Spieker Aquatics Center

Ice block down Janss Steps, go to Spring Sing, meet a celebrity at Wooden ““ these are just a few boxes many seniors hope to check off their UCLA bucket lists by the end of this year.

The seniors on the men’s water polo team have their own addition to this list, one that they’ve tried ““ and failed ““ to check off several times: Win a national title.

Each year has been a letdown. They started out their careers with a loss in the 2009 title game, then, after not even making it to conference finals in 2010, lost again in the title game last year. Both championship losses came against UCLA’s ultimate rival ““ USC, national champions for a record four years running.

“There’s a lot on the table. This team has gone through a lot together, and we’re bringing that every day,” said redshirt senior goalkeeper Matt Rapacz.

Rapacz, utility Josh Samuels, attackers Griffin White and Bret Lathrope ““ these four are the highly successful players who hope to finally bring a championship trophy to Westwood in their final year as Bruins.

When they open their season at the UCLA Invitational this weekend, it marks the start of their last chance. No more “maybe next year” for this squad ““ it’s all or nothing.

Although the Bruins have been a perennial powerhouse in the world of water polo, it has been eight years since they won a national championship. UCLA is all in, ready and raring to go for a long-awaited title, especially since most of the team understands the sting of a finals loss.

While only three Bruins left after last year, one of those was not only a loss in manpower but in morale ““ former team captain Cullen Hennessy.

“Cullen was our captain, and since I’ve been here, one of the most selfless, giving captains we’ve ever had, and that’s hard to replace,” coach Adam Wright said.

But the team has found its new leader ““ Samuels.

With a strong group of seniors, all of whom have led the team in both stats and spirit through the years, the coaches had several options. Samuels stuck out not only because he was able, but also because of his desire for the job.

“Over four years, he’s tried a lot to improve in areas of being a leader … there’s no special formula, some of it’s got to come natural. He’s got a feel for it,” Wright said.

Although the team’s heart lies in its seniors, its body runs with young blood. In a rare move for water polo, several true freshmen will get their feet wet this year in the pool.

Veterans appreciate the vitality the new players bring to their squad.

“The new guys bring competition to practice because no one wants to lose their spot to a rook. … It’s better because the harder practice is, the easier games are,” Samuels said.

But no matter how hard they go in practice, this season will come down to how hard the seniors’ desire pushes their fellow Bruins. Whether they walk away from Westwood with just a diploma to hang on their wall, or a trophy to put alongside it, will be decided in the coming months.

“I think the biggest thing is that if they can show the team how much they want this,” Wright said.

“That’ll be the important thing that could really push us over the top.”