Alexandra Tashman: Choosing a major early lends to a smoother college path

Establishing a plan at the start will help students tailor schedules more efficiently, graduate sooner

I’ve known since fifth grade that I wanted to study history.

There is no subject that makes me more excited, no discussion topic I engage in more eagerly. I keep lists of favorite wars and favorite monarchs, and I cry in most museums.

Unlike the many UCLA students who begin their undergraduate academic journeys not knowing what field to pursue, I came in with my major already declared.

But there is a rampant cliche on college campuses that suggests “everyone” comes in without a major.

This culture is perpetrated at UCLA during events such as Orientation, where I experienced speakers and counselors reminding incoming students time and time again that it was OK if they had no idea what to do with their lives.

University policy further encourages this flippancy, allowing students to remain undeclared until the end of their second year.

Understandably, not everyone knows what they want to do at 18. Our goals, our career aspirations, will likely change.

That being said, the modern purpose of a collegiate education is to help make high school seniors into practical, workplace-readied adults. A huge part of that growing process comes with learning to make decisions for yourself.

As such, we should be questioning the idea that indecisiveness is acceptable.

The list of benefits that comes from deciding upon a major either before or during your first year as an undergraduate is too long to ignore.

Perhaps most obviously, deciding early allows students time to knock out major prerequisites as quickly as possible.

It provides students with time to calculate precisely how many classes they need to take, including General Education courses, in order to graduate on time or early.

From there, students can determine whether there are quarters they might need to take four classes instead of three, or whether they might need summer school.

Deciding on a major early also allows students to pursue additional academic passions that may lie outside the job field they are planning to enter.

In my case, doing calculations early on allowed me to determine that I had enough time to pick up a second major and still graduate in four years.

Or, if you study life sciences, but you have a secret passion for medieval literature, you can work to fit in classes on that subject throughout your four years in a way that’s balanced.

In addition, deciding on a major in the beginning of an undergraduate career provides students with further potential to graduate early. Majors such as political science, which only require 15 classes for completion, would likely allow students to graduate in three or three-and-a-half years ““ a helpful factor if you’re low on funds.

Choosing a major early applies most particularly to students aiming to attend medical, dental, or veterinary schools, who may need to factor in even more courses beyond their major in order to meet professional school requirements.

“If someone were to decide later on, they’re certainly going to have a lot more to do in terms of scheduling,” said Roxanne Neal, director of New Student & Transition Programs. “If the objective is to be done in four years or less, that can be challenging if they don’t declare within a year or so.”

Deciding early, and having a firm grasp on what classes are needed, also helps students in majors where certain classes fill up quickly or might only be offered once a year.

If students are aware that they need a particular class, they can monitor its availability from the get-go, to ensure they have an easier time enrolling.

Then again, deciding on a major early is not for everyone.

Many students do legitimately struggle with deciding. One of the best tactics at that point is to try and determine what you’re truly passionate about, at least in terms of academics.

While enjoying an English class in high school doesn’t mean you’re destined to be the next Chaucer, figuring out what you have and have not liked in your previous educational experiences is a solid place to begin your journey

The sooner you determine that, the more time you’ll be able to spend exploring a wide variety of majors that might encompass what interests you.

While taking the time to make up your mind might later make commitment to a major easier (albeit more urgent), it is better to give yourself the scheduling flexibility that comes with decisions made during the first year. Students are going to have to commit eventually.

Paul Padilla, the undergraduate adviser for the history department, said that only a few freshmen come in directly as history majors.

“We rarely see students switching out, though the majority of our majors come to us their sophomore year,” he said.

My path is not necessarily meant for everyone, but abandoning the pervasive idea that “holding off” on selecting a major is the norm is an absolute must.

Email Tashman at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected] or tweet us, @DBOpinion.