No. 4 UCLA women’s volleyball falls to No. 5 Washington in five-set loss

Senior outside hitter Tabi Love had a big game against Washington, with 25 kills, but it wasn't enough to save the Bruins from a nailbiting five-set loss.

Evan Luxenberg

Women’s volleyball
Washington 3
UCLA 2

Behind the Score:
233
Points scored by the two teams

25
Kills by senior Tabi Love

2
Setters who played for UCLA

On paper, UCLA and Washington looked virtually identical.

They were side-by-side in the rankings, with UCLA at No. 4 and Washington at No. 5, hitting for similar averages and holding their opponents to comparable averages.

On the court, nothing changed.

The teams combined to play an extremely high 233 points and split them nearly evenly: UCLA’s 118 to Washington’s 115.

It was No. 5 Washington (12-0, 3-0 Pacific 12 Conference), though, who grabbed that razor thin advantage, edging out No. 4 UCLA (9-3, 1-2) 3-2. Final set scores were 25-22, 28-30, 25-19, 26-28 and 14-16.

For the Bruins, it was a night of blown leads.

After closing out the first set strong, UCLA seemed poised to do the same in the second set, leading 21-17.

However, numerous missed hits and blocks by the Bruins allowed the Huskies to tie the game at 23-apiece. Washington then capitalized on the shift in momentum to take the second set.

In the fourth set, UCLA once again led, but Washington once again rallied.

This time, the Huskies hit their stride in all facets of the game en route to an 8-1 run that propelled them to the set victory.

In the decisive fifth set, the Bruins jumped out to a 6-3 lead.

The Huskies, however, received timely team blocking and three kills from their sophomore outside hitter Krista Vansant in an 8-3 run to get ahead.

That final blown lead proved to be the dagger as UCLA lost the final set, 14-16, and the match.

For the majority of the season, coach Michael Sealy has switched setters between games but against Washington he opted to switch setters in-game.

Freshman setter Becca Strehlow started the game and played the first two sets, while sophomore setter Megan Moenoa played the final three sets on the game.

After a shaky start, the Bruins’ offense reawakened under Moenoa.

The Bruins’ blocking ability, an early season question mark, became the team’s backbone on Wednesday night as the team’s 13 blocks kept them in the game.

UCLA will next play at Washington State on Friday.

Compiled by Chris Kalra, Bruin Sports contributor.