Friday, May 17

UCLA men’s water polo hosts first Thursday game

Bruins hope having a short week won't affect the quality of their game today against Pepperdine

Senior utility Josh Samuels and the Bruins will try to improve on their performance the second time around against the visiting Waves.

Blaine Ohigashi

Blaine Ohigashi

UCLA and senior attacker Griffin White will get a chance to show off their stuff under the Thursday night lights at Spieker.

Tonight, the men’s water polo team sets a new first ““ the first Thursday night game at Spieker Aquatics Center since it opened in 2009.

The team has had its fair share of rollicking crowds for weekend matches, and they hope to get the same out of tonight.

“We want to put on a good display of sport for our fans,” said coach Adam Wright. “The turnouts for Friday night games have been really good and we hope Thursday night will be the same.”

UCLA hosts No. 8 Pepperdine on Thursday night beneath the bright lights of Spieker Aquatics Center.

Senior attacker Griffin White also agreed that there is a level of excitement that comes along with the allure of night games.

“It’s always fun playing at night and at home in front of the crowd,” he said.

However, the timing of the game isn’t entirely encouraging. The notion of playing a short week with only three days to practice lingers on the minds of players and coaches.

“I can’t remember the last time we had a short week like this. … You have to think quick and you have to learn a lot faster,” said senior utility Josh Samuels.

Wright acknowledged the necessity of learning, particularly looking back at last week’s victory against UC San Diego.

Despite beating the Tritons, 13-6, Wright thought his team showed plenty of room for improvement.

“We didn’t think we played our best game. … We have a lot to work on in our front court attack,” Wright said.

This unceasing pursuit of growth and progress is particularly important to the team versus Pepperdine. Despite the Bruins defeating the Waves handily 14-7 earlier this season, Samuels sees a different challenge this time around.

“They’re going to be way better than they were back then, because they went through some coaching switches and other changes,” Samuels said.

Wright built upon this point by emphasizing the figurative target that’s been painted on UCLA’s back.

“The reality is we’re No. 2 in the country right now and teams want to come after us,” Wright said. “We have to be ready.”

But with preparation comes confidence, and Wright hopes to replicate the team’s previous stellar performance against Pepperdine.

“If our team plays the way I know we can, we should be able to put on a similar score,” White said. “Every team’s improved, but we’ve improved too, and we know what we’re capable of.”

UCLA may have a target on its back, but Pepperdine has a monkey on its back. With its successful record and high ranking only being impeded by each of its losses coming from a top-five opponent, the team approaches UCLA with a golden opportunity to assert its own value atop the national rankings.

“They’re a team that feeds off energy,” Samuels said. “So if you let them into the game early, they’re going to feed off that and keep it going.”