Saturday, May 18

Big plays from Bruin adds to his rising role on UCLA football

Redshirt junior Damien Thigpen has put on an impressive performance as a running back on the team

Redshirt junior receiver Damien Thigpen gets a lift after catching a 20-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter that gave the Bruins a 42-33 lead.

Lexy Atmore

TEMPE, Ariz. “”mdash; It would be hard to say that UCLA’s redshirt senior running back Johnathan Franklin isn’t the focal point of the Bruins’ offense.

He’s had six 100-yard rushing games this year and even garnered some early Heisman trophy buzz at the beginning of the season.

But all of the attention on Franklin has taken away from the impressive season that redshirt junior running back Damien Thigpen has had so far.

Thigpen has been crucial this season in spelling Franklin, as he has gained 225 yards rushing this season on an average of 5.2 yards per carry.

Thigpen’s role expanded Saturday against Arizona State when he racked up 92 yards through the air on three catches, two of which went for touchdowns.

“Damien’s a great player, a great runner and a great guy,” Franklin said. “After he scored that touchdown, I ran right down there and gave him a hug. I love seeing Damien and (redshirt sophomore) Jordon James and those guys going out there and making plays. They deserve it.”

This is Thigpen’s first season really contributing to the team, as he’s had to deal with injuries and position changes throughout the duration of his time at UCLA, but he looks as though he’s found a home at running back.

“It feels like everything is coming together as it should be at the right time,” Thigpen said. “I’m feeling comfortable playing and I’m just working to stay healthy and make the best of these opportunities.”

To go along with Thigpen’s big day as a receiver, he also had a 41-yard kickoff return and contributed as an important pass blocker for redshirt freshman quarterback Brett Hundley.
“I’m just trying to do my part,” Thigpen said. “When the coaches put me in a situation to do well, I’m going to do everything I can.”

Locke and load
While redshirt senior punter Jeff Locke will most likely be remembered for the botched coin toss at the beginning of the game, the team captain atoned for his mishap before the game by averaging 49 yards per punt and keeping Arizona State to an average starting field position of 28 yards.
One punt in particular had a huge impact on the game, when he pinned the Sun Devils at their own 4-yard line late in the second quarter.

On the very next play, junior defensive end Cassius Marsh got into the backfield and forced a throw that was intercepted by senior safety Dalton Hilliard. The Bruins scored on a 5-yard run by Franklin the following play to go up 21-17 at the half.

“We have complete confidence in Jeff every time he steps back there,” said junior linebacker Anthony Barr, who had five tackles and a sack on the day. “Whenever teams have to drop back into their own territory, it allows us to pin our ears back and really get after the quarterback. Jeff’s a very big weapon for this team.”

Locke, who is considered one of the top punters in the nation, knows his abilities don’t go unnoticed.

“I know (defensive coordinator Lou) Spanos loves it,” Locke said. “He tells me all the time how much he loves it. I’m just out there doing my job and when the defense does their job, you see what happens.”

More Fuller
Freshman receiver Devin Fuller has had a whirlwind season through eight games. He started out the year as a quarterback expecting to redshirt, but injuries to the receiving corps took him off the scout team and placed him on the field five games into the season.

On his very first touch against Cal, he dropped a lateral swing pass that was ruled a fumble which was eventually recovered by the Bears.

Fuller’s first touch on Saturday against ASU went much better, as he caught a 15-yard touchdown for his first career reception to tie the game up at 14-14.

“It was an out-of-body experience,” Fuller said. “When I first caught it, I wasn’t sure if it was going to get called back so I kept looking around and there were no flags. That was a great feeling.”
Fuller is expected to move back to quarterback after the season ends, but he feels comfortable in his role right now as a receiver.

“I feel like I’m progressing each week,” Fuller said. “I still have a lot to learn and a lot to improve upon. Our work isn’t done yet.”