UCLA faces Arizona game with new mindset

Junior defensive end Cassius Marsh sacks Arizona State quarterback Taylor Kelly in the first quarter of last Saturday's game. In UCLA's homecoming game at the Rose Bowl this Saturday, Marsh and the Bruins' defense will be put to the test against the Wildcats' offense.

Lexy Atmore

Morgan Glier

Redshirt junior corner back Andrew Abbott leaps for an interception in the end zone during a game against Arizona State. The pass was incomplete.

Morgan Glier

Redshirt senior defensive end Datone Jones blocks the Wildcats’ offense in 2011. That year, the Bruins were destroyed by the Wildcats, losing 48-12.

Following last week’s big win over Arizona State, the UCLA football team is riding high going into their homecoming game against No. 24 Arizona on Saturday.

It is in stark contrast to last season, when UCLA came out of their bye week only to get embarrassed on national television in Tucson, Ariz.

The Bruins were blown out by the Wildcats 48-12 in a game that included a bench-clearing brawl after a fan dressed as a referee got onto the field, causing a commotion.

“I think they’re beyond that,” coach Jim Mora said. “I haven’t heard anyone even mention it. I don’t think we have the type of team that will fall back into that.”

Five Bruins were suspended following the game: junior defensive end Cassius Marsh, redshirt junior receiver Shaquelle Evans, redshirt junior receiver Ricky Marvray, redshirt junior guard Alberto Cid and former receiver Randall Carroll.

“I made some mistakes last year and that’s a regret I have,” Marsh said. “But I’ve moved past that, and I’m living my life to be a bigger man and just play football.”

This looks to be a much different UCLA (6-2, 3-2 Pac-12) team from last season, as the Bruins are ranked No. 25 in the nation and became bowl-eligible in October for the first time since 2005.

“We came into this season with a new mindset that the coaching staff instilled in this team,” Evans said.

“This season we’re just working on moving forward, and we have a big game this week that could lead us to some great opportunities in the future.”

History aside, UCLA will have a tall task ahead of them facing Arizona (5-3, 2-3), who is coming off a big win of their own against USC last week.

Mora specifically singled out Arizona quarterback Matt Scott as the biggest threat the Bruins will face this week.

“To this point, he’s probably the most impressive player on film that we’re going to face at that position,” Mora said.

UCLA’s healthy reverence for Scott is not unwarranted, as he has passed for 2724 yards and 20 touchdowns while adding 365 yards and four touchdowns on the ground.

Scott’s performance to this point in the season is enough for a team to look for an edge wherever they can ““ even in their attire.

The Bruins will wear navy blue alternate uniforms for homecoming, which Mora hopes will bring some extra energy to the game.

“It’s exciting for them,” Mora said. “They (the uniforms) are beautiful, and they incorporate a lot of what UCLA is with the old numbers. I’m excited to see them ““ I think it will be really pretty with the night game and the whole deal.”

While UCLA will look to continue to build on its strong season start as a team, there is no doubt that the Bruins will be aware of the accomplishments of one individual. Redshirt senior running back Johnathan Franklin is only 21 yards behind Gaston Green for the top spot on UCLA’s all-time rushing list.

“It’s meaningful because of who it is,” Mora said. “I have no doubt in my mind that as soon as he breaks that record, the first thing he’ll do is pay homage to his offensive line and his receivers for blocking for him. That’s just the kind of man he is.”