Saturday, May 18

Speraw named US men’s national volleyball team head coach

UCLA men’s volleyball coach John Speraw was announced as the USA national team’s head coach this week, giving him a dual role coaching position that now leaves him in charge of both teams year-round.

Speraw, who previously served as an assistant coach for the USA men’s volleyball team during the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, made it clear during a press conference on Tuesday that his new role will not significantly affect his position at UCLA.

“In terms of my role being split, it became apparent that the change in international calendar – moving the World Cup and world championships into August and September almost means that there is zero conflict with the academic year and the schedule at UCLA,” Speraw said. “Because of those changes, we felt this was something very doable.”

This is Speraw’s first year as UCLA’s coach after coaching UC Irvine to three national championships throughout a 10-year period. After what was an inconsistent first half of the season, UCLA is in the midst of a four-game win streak and has surged to the No. 4 national ranking.

According to Speraw, the players on the team and others associated with UCLA volleyball have shown support for his dual role.

“I think everyone’s response has been excitement. … My players were excited for me; I’ve made it no secret that I really felt my experiences coaching Team USA has been some of the most special experiences of my professional career,” Speraw said during the press conference. “I think they know that, and they were all excited for me.”

The widespread support is one of the main reasons Speraw feels he will be able to succeed simultaneously at the collegiate and international level.

Nevertheless, trying to balance the responsibilities of being a coach for an elite collegiate program and national team year-round is sure to be a challenge for the UCLA coach.

“I’m going to have to be a good manager, and part of this is we are going to have to figure it out as we go along,” Speraw said. “This is a new model.”

Compiled by Leonardo Villalobos, Bruin Sports reporter.