Tuesday, May 21

Track and field travels for Pomona-Pitzer Invitational

Track and field

Pomona-Pitzer Invitational
Saturday

Claremont, Calif.
No TV info

With the conclusion of the Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner-Kersee Invitational at Drake Stadium last weekend, the UCLA track and field team will resume its traveling schedule as it continues the 2013 outdoor track and field season on the road.

The team’s next destination will be the Strehle Track in Claremont, Calif., for the 27th Annual Pomona-Pitzer Track and Field Invitational on Saturday.

The one-day meet will see the participation of track programs from National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and NCAA Division I, II and III schools.

UCLA will send a smaller contingent of athletes to the meet than usual, while the remaining athletes take the time to prepare for the three-day Mt. San Antonio College Relays, which will begin on April 18.

One athlete that will compete in the Pomona-Pitzer meet is sophomore sprinter and long jumper Kylie Price.

Price placed first among collegiate-level participants in the 100 meters in last week’s home meet, but still sees potential for improvement.

“After running what I ran this weekend, I kind of know what I have to work on … the next time I can go through my phases in the 100 (meters), and it’ll be much better, much faster. My reaction time will be faster and each phase in my 100 (meters) will be better,” Price said.

“The 100 (meters) this past weekend was to see where I’m at, so now I’m going to correct all my mistakes that I’ve done, so I’ll be able to get a better time and a faster time.”

For Price, the meet in Pomona will be another opportunity for her to work toward her ultimate goal for the season.

“I’ve already PR’d, but this year I want to run 11.5 and below, so that’s my goal by the end of the year,” said Price, who ran a 11.60 at Saturday’s invitational.

“I’m already proud of myself, so (the goal is) just to keep progressing throughout the year for the sprints and the jumps.”

Compiled by Aubrey Yeo, Bruin Sports contributor.