Tuesday, May 14

USAC Recap – May 14

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government of UCLA’s undergraduate students. Council meetings are Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students.

Agenda

• The council unanimously approved capital contingency allocations.
  • The council approved contingency allocations 10-0-1.
  • The council unanimously approved a change to the bylaws that added a mission statement explaining the roles of the Campus Events commissioner.
  • The council unanimously officially approved the results of last week’s elections.
  • The council unanimously approved a change to the bylaws that included which committees the Facilities commissioner sits on such as the On-Campus Housing Council, Transportation Services and Housing Administration.
  • The council voted to table the proposal to add the general representatives to the finance committee to next week, giving the vote to the newly elected council, with a vote of 9-2-0.
  • The council unanimously approved a change to the bylaws that updated the committees within the Student Wellness Commission and institutionalize the Student Health Network.
  • The outgoing councilmembers said final farewells and announcements.

Officer Reports

• USAC President David Bocarsly said more than 100 people attended the Diversity Symposium his office help put on and that the event will continue throughout this month.
  • Andrea Hester, internal vice president, said her office will be hosting an event as part of a leadership series on Friday called Networking for your Future. She said there will also be an “Introduction to USAC” workshop on May 21 at 6 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 for new councilmembers.
  • Lana El-Farra, external vice president, said three people from her office are traveling to lobby with the UC Board of Regents this week.

Special Presentations

• Former UCLA students that participated in the Freedom Rides during the Civil Rights Movement attended the meeting and spoke about their experiences. The council then presented a plaque that honored them and the then-student governments’ actions.

Compiled by Yancey Cashell, Bruin contributor.