Softball starts playoffs in regional full of new faces

To extend its season, young team must go through unfamiliar opponents and powerhouse offenses

Senior outfielder Devon Lindvall, who is batting .284 this season, figures to play a key role in UCLA’s appearance in its regional as a player who has postseason experience away from home.

Senior outfielder Devon Lindvall, who is batting .284 this season, figures to play a key role in UCLA’s appearance in its regional as a player who has postseason experience away from home. Jose Ubeda / Daily Bruin

Softball

ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM
Today, 2 p.m.

Louisville, Ky.
No TV info

Despite the pressure to advance to the NCAA Super Regionals, sophomore pitcher Ally Carda and the Bruins are focusing on enjoying every moment of this weekend’s regional competition, taking things one game at a time. For many Bruins, this will be the first postseason game away from home, and for the five freshmen, it will be their first postseason game ever.
Jose Ubeda / Daily Bruin
After three months and 55 games of play, UCLA softball finds itself in Louisville, Ky. as the NCAA softball championship begins today. No. 13 UCLA (37-18), which finished its season by winning five of its last six games, will be joined at Ulmer Stadium by the host No. 12 Louisville Cardinals (46-11), the University of Alabama-Birmingham Blazers (37-16) and Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne Mastodons (32-14).

The Bruins will face off against the Blazers for the first time ever in game one of the double elimination regional series. UAB finished with Conference USA’s best conference record, but lost in the championship game to Marshall, as part of a 2-3 finish to close out its season.

Game two of the regional features the host Cardinals squaring off against the Mastodons. IPFW, which will be making its tournament debut, will have the difficult task of taking down the Cardinals, who posted a 23-3 home record in the regular season.

Although historically no stranger to the tournament, UCLA will find itself in unfamiliar territory this weekend, as 15 Bruins will be playing in their first postseason game away from Westwood, with six players making their tournament debuts.

Coach Kelly Inouye-Perez said she expects to look to her coaching staff and seniors, such as outfielder Devon Lindvall, to help keep things simple for the younger players during the hectic week.

“This is a little different because last year, we did host, so even our sophomores don’t know how it is on the road,” said Lindvall. “It’s just a very long week with practicing there and stuff like that but I think our team is in a good place. We’re excited – they’ll buy into whatever we are going to do.”

The Bruins’ postseason hopes may depend on their pitching staff’s ability to handle all the distractions that come with playing in a regional series. The three teams joining UCLA in the regional have outscored opponents 772-389 this season, leaving little room for error on the part of the Bruins pitchers.

Louisville’s offense, anticipating to receive a boost from playing in front of its home crowd, has been particularly dangerous for opposing pitchers, having scored eight or more runs in 26 games this season. However, sophomore pitcher Ally Carda downplayed the hype of postseason, electing to focus on one game at a time.

“I wouldn’t say there’s too much difference, just the atmosphere of it. There’s more on the line, you’re playing for a little bit more, so it makes it more fun, definitely,” Carda said. “I think we’re pretty dialed in – we’re just taking it one pitch at a time one game at a time, and just staying in the moment.”

Carda’s attitude is the type that Inouye-Perez is encouraging her players to have entering this weekend. With just 64 teams in the tournament and just 16 advancing past this weekend to Super Regionals, Inouye-Perez wants her team to enjoy every minute the 2013 squad has left together, as the team hopes to make the most of the opportunity before itself.

“I love this part of the season, there is nothing better than being a player at this part, because it’s their time,” said Inouye-Perez. “They get to be between the white lines and have this experience. You are going into battle with your girls, and your ability to stick together through it and accomplish great things. It’ll last you for a lifetime.”

Lee joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until he graduated in 2011. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, softball and women's volleyball beats.