Sunday, April 28

UCLA’s best pitchers in the College World Series

Katie Meyers

Day 1 of NCAA championships UCLA vs. Mississippi State, UCLA wins 3-1

James Kaprielian

One of the youngest Bruins delivered on the biggest of stages as the true freshman threw three nearly perfect innings of scoreless relief in his time at the College World Series. The right-hander worked efficiently in the three games he appeared in as he faced 10 batters, allowed no hits and threw just 34 pitches.
CWS stats: 0-0, 3 innings pitched, .000 opponent batting average, 0.00 ERA

David Berg

Sophomore closer David Berg proved to be a pivotal part of the Bruins’ championship run as he earned saves in three of the five Bruin victories and was the only UCLA pitcher to appear in all five contests. Berg would make history in UCLA’s first game against Mississippi State as he earned his 24th save of the season, an NCAA single-season record, in the Bruins 3-1 win. Berg and UCLA would make history again two nights later, as it was the sophomore who recorded the final out of the Bruins 8-0 victory over the Bulldogs to give UCLA baseball its first national championship.
CWS stats: 3 saves, 6.2 innings pitched, .240 opponent batting average, 1.35 ERA

web.sp.7.1.baseball.wrap.picF

Grant Watson

The left-handed sophomore pitcher made the most of his only start in the College World Series. In UCLA’s matchup with No. 1 North Carolina, Watson shut out the Tar Heels and allowed only four hits over six innings as UCLA would defeat North Carolina 4-1 to advance to the championship series.
CWS stats: 1-0, 6 innings pitched, .190 batting average, 0.00 ERA

Adam Plutko

After falling in the MLB draft, Plutko responded with a dominating postseason performance in the CWS en route to being named the College World Series Most Outstanding Player. In UCLA’s game against LSU, the right-handed junior went seven innings and allowed just four hits and one earned run in the 2-1 victory. Plutko followed that up with an almost identical performance in Game 1 of the championship series against Mississippi State, allowing four hits and one earned run in six innings in the 3-1 win. The victory would put UCLA within one win of the national championship.
CWS stats: 2-0, 13 innings pitched, .167 opponent batting average, 1.38 ERA

UCLA Bruins defeats Mississippi state to win their 109 National Championship

Nick Vander Tuig

The Bruins’ other junior right-handed starting pitcher delivered two strong outings of his own. Like Plutko, Vander Tuig made two starts in the CWS and came away victorious in both, tossing 15 innings in all, while only giving up nine combined hits in the two games. Vander Tuig shut down the Mississippi State offense in Game 2 of the championship series as he tossed eight shutout innings in earning the victory, clinching UCLA’s first-ever national championship in baseball.
CWS stats: 2-0, 15 innings pitched, .170 opponent batting average, .60 ERA, 12 strikeouts

Photos by Katie Meyers, Bruin staff
Compiled by Jordan Lee, Bruin Sports senior staff.