UCLA CAP to host spectrum of creative talent at Royce Hall

Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA

Every year, every quarter, the Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA welcomes talent from fields across the creative spectrum. From theatrical performances to musicians to authors, this fall proves no different, hosting and bringing diversity to Royce Hall, with guests including a Peruvian singer and multi-instrumentalists.

The Center for the Art of Performance provides tickets for UCLA students at $15.

Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder
Friday, Oct. 18 at 8 p.m.

Bruce Hornsby is an American singer and pianist that draws inspiration from classical, bluegrass and gospel styles.

Ricky Skaggs is a multi-instrumentalist and bluegrass singer. Together, they make up the duo that brings together a Virginia calmness and “Kentucky thunder.” As Grammy Award-winning artists, Skaggs and Hornsby make a visit to UCLA with their latest release, “Cluck Ol’ Hen,” a collection of bluegrass tunes as well as live recordings of hits.

Eva Ayllón: “Celebrating Life, Festejando la Vida”
Saturday, Oct. 19 at 8 p.m.

Deemed one of Peru’s most enduring living legends, Eva Ayllón is an Afro-Peruvian singer who has tried throughout the years to strengthen awareness of Afro-Peruvian culture. After releasing her first album in the United Statesok with writer, “Eva! Leyenda Peruana,” in 2004, Ayllón has since graced various stages in locations all over the world, from theaters in Peru to notable U.S. venues like Carnegie Hall. She is coming to UCLA this year to share her well-known singing mestizo mixes of music from Peru’s indigenous African and Spanish heritages.

Judd Winick: “Pedro and Me”
Wednesday, Oct. 23 at 7:30 p.m.

“Pedro and Me,” the UCLA 2013-2014 Common Book, tells the story of Judd Winick’s friendship with AIDS educator Pedro Zamora, who he met on MTV’s reality show “The Real World: San Francisco.” An autobiographical work of art, “Pedro and Me” is also the first graphic novel chosen as the UCLA Common Book. Winick will enter the Royce Hall auditorium to expand upon his experiences, as well as to answer questions, encouraging face-to-face interaction with many of his UCLA readers. This event will be free for all students with a BruinCard.

“The Intergalactic Nemesis – Book One: Target Earth”
Saturday, Nov. 2 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 3 at 2 p.m.

Mixing comic books and radio drama, “The Intergalactic Nemesis” is an experience of its own, a live-action graphic novel performed on stage. Removing the speech balloons and two-dimensional restrictions of paper, the performance utilizes panel-by-panel projection with three actors voicing characters simultaneously. Bringing to life the comic book artwork, the show features a Foley artist producing integrated sound effects and a keyboardist performing the adaptation’s elaborate score.

Susan Marshall & Company: “Play/Pause”
Saturday, Nov. 9 at 8 p.m.

Known for combining abstract movements, repetition and variety into her pieces, Susan Marshall has produced over 40 works of art. This fall, she returns with the dance work “Play/Pause.” Performed live by electric guitar quartet Dither and Mantra Percussion, “Play/Pause” brings together postmodern dance-theater and indie rock on the Royce Hall stage. With a score by David Lang, the dance explores pop culture and society’s relationship to the media.