Sunday, May 19

UCLA women’s water polo victory over ASU left unrefined

Junior attacker Emily Donohoe scored four goals in her team's win over Arizona State Sunday. (Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

On a perfect Los Angeles afternoon – 85 degrees and barely a cloud in the sky – the UCLA women’s water polo team took on Arizona State at Spieker Aquatic Center in the opening game of their Mountain Pacific Sports Federation conference season.

Things didn’t always look that sunny for the No. 2 Bruins (17-2, MPSF 1-0), however. Although UCLA led the entire game, No. 6 ASU (9-6, 0-2) was able to bring the game to within two goals twice in the second half as UCLA began to falter, before the Bruins eventually won 11-7.

“I thought that we got impatient,” said coach Brandon Brooks of the team’s second half play. “I thought that we didn’t feel that comfortable in the stuff that we were doing.”

Junior attacker Emily Donohoe, whose four goals were instrumental in UCLA’s victory, saw it differently.

“I think we just stopped communicating. We got a little jumbled (in the second half),” Donohoe said.

UCLA opened the game with the strong, controlling play it has maintained so far this season, scoring twice in 18 seconds while keeping ASU from shooting for the first two minutes. ASU managed to score once in the first quarter, but UCLA kept defensive control of the game.

Two goals from Donohoe, one from sophomore attacker Rachel Fattal and one from junior attacker Danielle Ferraro answered only by a single goal from ASU brought the score to 6-2 at the half.

The second half opened much the same as the first, with UCLA controlling play and sophomore attacker Kodi Hill nabbing an early goal. Three goals from ASU in the third quarter, answered only by Fattal’s third goal of the game, brought the Sun Devils to within three points of the Bruins.

A flurry of scoring to start the last quarter brought the Sun Devils to within two goals at one point, although two goals from Donohoe helped keep the Bruins ahead 10-7 before a goal by Hill and strong defensive play by the Bruins sealed UCLA’s victory.

Although UCLA took the win, Brooks was not fully happy.

“I thought we had some great things, and we had some unsatisfying mistakes to give them opportunities or not convert on opportunities,” Brooks said.

Redshirt junior goalkeeper Sami Hill wasn’t satisfied with UCLA’s performance, either.

“It’s kinda hard as a goalie to see a lot of goals go in. It’s my responsibility,” Hill said. “I think we could have done a little bit better.”

But Hill was still optimistic for the rest of the MPSF season.

“We need just to play a solid game,” Hill said. “I think we’re gonna be good.”

The Bruins play again on March 21 at home against Harvard.