Men’s basketball’s Norman Powell receives first-team Pac-12 honors

Senior guard Norman Powell and freshman forward Kevon Looney garnered All-Pac-12 selections Monday.

Powell was named to the first team after leading the Bruins in scoring this past season while Looney earned second-team honors in his first year with UCLA. Powell averaged 16.3 points per contest and started all 31 games as UCLA’s lone regularly contributing senior.

The San Diego native was also named to the honorable mention Pac-12 All-Defensive Team after hauling in 4.7 rebounds per contest and averaging just less than two steals per game. Looney was one of seven players named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman Team after he averaged 12.3 points and 9.5 rebounds per game and finished the year with 14 double-doubles – more than all but one other player in the conference.

The former five-star recruit led the Bruins in rebounds and was third on the team in scoring, and he started every game in his initial season in Westwood. Bryce Alford – UCLA’s leader in minutes played – rounded out the Bruins’ honors, as the sophomore guard landed honorable mention All-Pac-12.

Alford finished second on the team in scoring and led UCLA in assists. In his first year as a starter, Alford has played a team-high 36.3 minutes per game and ended the regular season as the lone Bruin to shoot better than 80 percent from the free throw line.

Oregon guard Joseph Young was selected as the conference Player of the Year after leading the league in scoring and guiding the Ducks to a third-place finish in the Pac-12. Arizona’s Stanley Johnson beat out Looney for Freshman of the Year, while Oregon State’s Gary Payton II secured Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Washington State forward Josh Hawkinson was named the Most Improved Player in the Pac-12, while Oregon’s Dana Altman was chosen as the Pac-12 John R. Wooden Coach of the Year.

Compiled by Jordan Lee, Bruin Sports senior staff.