Around the League: Women’s basketball All-Americans, ASU no-hitter

Junior guard Kelsey Plum was one of three Pac-12 women's basketball players to be honored as a second- or third-team AP All-American. (Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin senior staff)

While Bruin athletes continue competing in Westwood, here’s a look at some of the biggest news from the rest of the Pac-12.

All-American basketball stars

With a pair of schools in the Final Four, the Pac-12 showed the women’s basketball world that it deserved the title of powerhouse conference. Guiding those talented West Coast teams were a number of talented women.

Three of them earned spots on the Associated Press All-American women’s basketball teams, the organization announced Monday. The total is the second-most for the Pac-12 ever.

Oregon State senior Jamie Weisner was named to the second team and has led the Beavers to the Final Four, where they will compete against the UConn Huskies on Sunday evening.

The third team included a pair of Pac-12 players, Oregon senior Jillian Alleyne and Washington junior Kelsey Plum. Alleyne, in an injury-shortened season, garnered her second-straight All-American honor, while Plum was honored for the first time in her career.

Plum and the Huskies remain in the NCAA Tournament, too, and are preparing to face the Syracuse Orange this weekend.

UCLA had one representative, sophomore forward Jordin Canada, who snagged honorable mention.

Arizona State no-hitter

After throwing a no-hitter Friday night in his first start of the year, Arizona State sophomore right-hander Ryan Hingst earned National Pitcher of the Week honors from the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

Hingst, who had never before thrown more than five innings in a single appearance for the Sun Devils, threw 81 of his 121 pitches for strikes in a 5-0 home win over the Utah Utes, but still walked three and hit a batter to keep him from a perfect game.

Hingst put on a show for the Sun Devils season-high crowd of 3,463, working mostly with his fastball to strike out nine batters. He maintained his velocity around 92 mph until the end of the game, said ASU coach Tracy Smith, helping him retire the final 11 batters to close out the tenth no-hitter in program history.

Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.

Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.

contact

Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.

Alumna

Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.