Saturday, April 20

USAC recap – Oct. 2

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel, which can be accessed with a ucla.edu account.

Special presentations

• UCPD Lt. Kevin Kilgore said helmets are no longer needed to legally ride electric scooters, but added Bruin Walk and sidewalks are still dismount zones.

Agenda

• The council allocated a total of $4,674 from the contingency programming fund to non-USAC groups.
  • The council discussed introducing USAC in depth in New Student Orientation.
  • The council reappointed all interim summer appointments for full-term positions as one consent item.
  • The council appointed Alex Lim and Angela Li as members of the USAC Community Service Mini Fund. Lim is a fourth-year bioengineering student and Li is a second-year economics, psychology and sociology student.
  • The council appointed Analiese Machado, Amir Patel, and Lilliana Epps to The Green Initiative Fund.
  • The council appointed Calvin Schaffer and Evan Lovell to the John Wooden Center Board of Governors.
  • The council appointed Katherine Woo and Angelina Kim as members of the Campus Sustainability Committee.

Reports

• President Claire Fieldman said the UCLA Title IX office will host sexual assault and violence trainings every Monday this month. All members of the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council are required to attend. She added the Univerity of California Council of Presidents is revising the student regent election process. She also added the Police Chief Advisory Council will have its first meeting of the year Wednesday.
  • External Vice President Jamie Kennerk said Assembly Bill 2836, which will modify UC repatriation of Native American cultural property, was signed into law Thursday.
  • General Representative 2 Bella Martin said her office is working on getting Good Clothes Good People bins placed in fraternity and sorority houses.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Nidirah Stephens said her office will be distributing free iClickers this week.
  • Campus Events Commissioner Alley Madison said her office hosted a sneak peek of “A Star is Born” Tuesday. She added her office is working to revive Spotted on BruinWalk, a social media campaign in which students can submit unusual sights on campus to a CEC channel.
  • Community Service Commissioner Bethanie Atinuke Sonola said her office is turning their yearly Day of Service into a Series of Service, which will have more, smaller-scale events.
  • Cultural Affairs Commissioner Sarena Khasawneh said her office has opened a program in which cultural organizations on campus can join CAC for a quarter and receive $2,000. She added her office is seeking photographers and models for a Taking Up Space campaign, which aims to highlight people who identify as people of color, queer or fat.
  • Financial Supports Commissioner Jay Manzano said his office will meet with members of CalFresh to discuss pushing UCLA to accept the program’s food stamp benefits on campus.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner George Louis Faour said his office formally adopted Farmer’s Market at UCLA. He also added the Bruin Consent Coalition will be holding several events for Relationship Violence Awareness Month, including a gallery, a sit-in and the distribution of 500 purple electric candles.

Morris was previously the 2020-2021 Editor in chief. She was also the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor as well as the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat.