Men’s basketball leads Washington State 44-37 at half time away

Freshman center Moses Brown scored eight points and grabbed three rebounds in the first half Wednesday night. UCLA leads Washington State by seven points at the break. (Axel Lopez/Assistant Photo editor)

The Bruins are off to a quick start in Washington.

UCLA men’s basketball (11-9, 4-3 Pac-12) leads Washington State (8-12, 1-6) 44-37 at the half in the opening contest of a two-game road swing to the Northwest.

Despite the Cougars holding the Bruins scoreless for the game’s first three minutes, UCLA finished the half shooting 57 percent from the floor. The Bruins also connected on 7 of their 12 attempts from beyond the arc.

Freshman center Moses Brown leads the Bruins in scoring with eight points on 3-of-4 shooting. He also hauled in three rebounds and converted on both of his free throw attempts.

Washington State forward Robert Franks kept the Cougars within striking distance by scoring 15 points in the opening 20 minutes, including three 3-pointers on four attempts.

Washington State has only lost once at home this season in nine games. If UCLA holds on to win the game, it would be just its second road win of the year.

Alumnus

Smith joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2020. He was the Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf beats.