Saturday, October 31

UCLA moves summer session A online, extending remote instruction through Aug. 28

Summer session A, which runs from June 22 to Aug. 28, will be taught remotely. It has not yet been decided whether summer session C will be taught online as well. (Daily Bruin file photo)

This post was updated April 2 at 1:19 p.m.

Summer session A will also be taught remotely, university officials announced Wednesday.

Session A, which is scheduled from June 22 to Aug. 28, includes nine- and 10-week summer intensive classes. Classes that require fieldwork or specialized equipment will need to modify their syllabuses, said Emily Carter, executive vice chancellor and provost, and Patricia Turner, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, in an emailed statement to students.

The university has not yet decided whether to extend remote instruction to summer session C, which starts Aug. 3 and ends Sept. 11. However, the statement asked faculty members to start planning for such a decision.

Per-unit tuition will remain the same: $279 for UC undergraduates, $349 for UC graduate students and $360 for all others, said Jaime Balboa, assistant vice provost of Summer Sessions and Study Abroad, in an emailed statement. The transition to remote instruction will not impact financial aid eligibility.

“Quality of instruction is always a top priority at UCLA,” Balboa said. “This was heavy on our minds when we made the decision to convert Session A to remote instruction now, at the beginning of Spring Quarter. The more lead time the faculty has to prepare, the better the learning experience will be for our students.”

University officials did not return a comment in time for this article.

The extension comes as two additional students living in off-campus, non-university housing tested positive for the coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases in the UCLA community to nine. Both students have not been on campus for more than two weeks, making it unlikely they were infected at UCLA.

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here
Senior staff photojournalist & news reporter

Jintak Han is a senior staff photojournalist and news reporter. Working at the Bruin through his entire undergraduate career from 2014 to 2020, Han has won dozens of awards and national recognition for his photojournalism. He is also known for his investigative reporting and is a staff writer for the City & Crime beat. He previously served as the 2016-2017 Assistant Photo editor and worked as a weekend reporter at the Korea Times for most of 2019.