Friday, October 30

Kyla Ross named 2019-2020 Daily Bruin Sports UCLA Athlete of the Year

The first annual Daily Bruin Sports UCLA Athlete of the Year tournament started with 64 Bruins fighting for one spot at the top.

The tournament began March 29 and consisted of six rounds of Twitter polls, leaving it up to UCLA fans to decide who moved on.

UCLA gymnastics senior Kyla Ross – who entered the tournament as the No. 1 overall seed – secured the title Saturday morning with a 79.3%-20.7% victory over teammate senior Gracie Kramer in the finals. Ross earned at least 86% of votes in each of her first five matchups.

The All-American and Olympic gold medalist was also the only Bruin to win the Daily Bruin Sports UCLA Athlete of the Week Award multiple times in 2020, securing it for the weeks of Jan. 8-14 and March 4-11.

The Final Four was exclusively made up of gymnasts – Ross, Kramer, senior Grace Glenn and junior Nia Dennis – while the entire Elite Eight consisted of female athletes.

Nearly 72,000 votes were cast across the entire tournament.

Connon is currently a Sports senior staff writer for the football and men's basketball beats. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats from 2018-2019 and a reporter on the baseball and women's basketball beats from 2017-2018. Connon also contributes movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment and co-hosts Daily Bruin Sports' weekly podcast, "Out of Bounds." Connon is a rising fourth-year Communication student from Winchester, Massachusetts.

Nguyen was the 2019-2020 Graphics editor.