A tenure with some turbulence: Daily Bruin team helped me tackle the tough moments -30-

(Kristie-Valerie Hoang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Nothing worthwhile comes easy.

I’ve heard countless versions of this phrase over the years, but nothing taught me it quite like my time at the Daily Bruin.

I entered Kerckhoff 118 as a freshman with my mind set on the conventional route – get hired as a Sports intern, work my way up to becoming an assistant editor and then keep writing as senior staff until I graduated. I had always been someone who preferred to be under the radar and let my writing do most of the talking.

Let’s just say things turned out a little different than what I pictured.

There’s nothing that can really prepare you for dozens of staffers striking against your selection as editor in chief, or a global pandemic causing you to shut down print production for the first time in 100 years. But if I’ve learned one thing in the last four years, it’s to expect the unexpected and know everything happens for a reason.

I know it sounds cliche, but I spent hours outside the office asking myself: “Why?” Why did I want to be editor in chief? Why did printing a paper every day mean so much? And why did I know I had to stick it out even in the toughest moments?

It was all because of the people – those who taught me, those who worked with me and those who believed in me more than I believed in myself.

Hanson and David – thank you for being my editors, teaching me how to conduct an interview and write a meow. If you hadn’t invested your time in me and saw the potential of a shy freshman with no journalism experience, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

Jacqueline, Coral, Dylan, Marcus, Cassidy, Riley and everyone on the Sports staff – thank you for trusting me as an editor and allowing me to learn alongside you. You are all superstars and it’s been an honor to work with each and every one of you.

Ryan, Sam and Gabe – thank you for being the greatest friends and having my back during the most challenging times. From every deep talk to road trip, I can’t imagine UCLA without you guys.

Kristie and Joy – thank you for choosing to lead this newsroom alongside me and for believing in my vision. This year hasn’t been easy, but we’ve come such a long way and I truly couldn’t ask for a better team of queens.

And to the staff I’ve had the privilege of leading this year – thank you for inspiring and motivating me through all the crazy and stressful moments. You all are incredible people and phenomenal journalists, and I can’t wait to see what you’re going to do next.

I think it’s safe to say my tenure as editor in chief has been different than any other in recent history. I had to learn not everyone is going to be your biggest supporter, and nothing ever goes exactly according to plan. The Daily Bruin challenged me in more ways than I ever thought it would, but I leave knowing I’m the strongest person I’ve ever been.

Was every moment easy? No.

But nothing worthwhile ever is.

Forburger was a Sports contributor 2016-2017, Sports reporter 2017-2018, assistant Sports editor 2018-2019 and editor in chief 2019-2020.

Forburger joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2020. She was the Editor in Chief for the 2019-2020 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 academic years. Forburger spent time on the women's volleyball, gymnastics, softball, swim & dive and rowing beats.