Psychology professor Adriana Galván to serve as new dean of undergraduate education

(Daily Bruin file photo)

UCLA named a new dean of undergraduate education. 

Adriana Galván will start as dean of undergraduate education July 1, said Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Emily Carter in a statement Thursday.

Galván will replace Patricia Turner, who stepped down from the position after a seven-year term. 

“I am thrilled to serve as the next dean of undergraduate education,” Galván said in an emailed statement. “My goal is to work with students to capitalize on this moment in history to enact positive change and to help UCLA students navigate the challenges brought forth by the pandemic.”

Galván has been a faculty member at UCLA since 2008 and served on the psychology department’s executive and academic personnel review committees. She also holds the Wendell Jeffrey and Bernice Wenzel Term Chair in Behavioral Neuroscience and is the director of the Developmental Neuroscience Lab at UCLA.

Galván researches adolescent brain development and behavior. She also held leadership positions at the Center for the Developing Adolescent and the NIH Child Psychopathology and Developmental Disabilities Study Section.

Qu was the 2021-2022 Editor in chief. He was previously the 2020-2021 campus politics editor and a contributor for The Stack. He studied statistics and political science at UCLA.

Outreach director

Lau is currently the Outreach director. She was previously the 2020-2021 features and student life editor and a 2019-2020 News contributor for the campus politics beat.