Friday, March 29

UCLA to switch to remote-only instruction for fall, further reduce on-campus housing

UCLA announced Friday all courses – except for essential in-person classes – will be taught remotely for fall quarter and a decrease in the number of students allowed in on-campus housing. (Daily Bruin file photo)

UCLA will transition to all remote instruction except for essential in-person classes for the fall and reduce the number of students permitted in on-campus housing.

The decision follows recent directives from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health that restricted campus activities to minimum operations and limited on-campus housing eligibility to students with no alternative options, said Emily Carter, the executive vice chancellor and provost in an emailed statement to students.

Under the LACDPH guidelines, in-person and hybrid instruction will be restricted to classes that prepare students for essential workforce jobs, which include health, social work, emergency services, the sciences and engineering.

Housing will be restricted to students who have no alternative housing options, student-athletes and those enrolled in permitted in-person or hybrid classes who don’t have local housing options, Carter said. These restrictions will not apply to undergraduate and graduate university apartment residents, according to a UCLA Housing update.

Students who currently live in unsafe housing or housing without adequate accommodations for students with disabilities will also have access to on-campus housing, Carter added.

Housing will assess students’ eligibility and cancel the contracts of students who do not qualify for on-campus housing. 

UCLA previously planned to provide single occupancy accommodations for on-campus housing and to have 8% of classes taught in person or in a hybrid format

UCLA Housing is considering an earlier move-in process to avoid crowding. Currently, undergraduate students are scheduled to move in beginning Sept. 21. 

Family and friends will not be permitted to help students move into their buildings.

Students will be tested for COVID-19 and isolated in their units until they receive their test results. If they test negative, they will be quarantined with a small group on their floors or houses for up to nine days, or until they receive an additional negative result for COVID-19. 

Students who test positive will be isolated for two weeks in an isolation unit. Meals will be provided by UCLA for students in isolation or quarantine. 

Students in university apartments can cancel their housing contracts by Sept. 16 without penalty and receive full refunds for their housing payments, UCLA Housing said.

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here
Outreach director

Lau is currently the Outreach director. She was previously the 2020-2021 features and student life editor and a 2019-2020 News contributor for the campus politics beat.

Alumnus

Qu was the 2021-2022 Editor in chief. He was previously the 2020-2021 campus politics editor and a contributor for The Stack. He studied statistics and political science at UCLA.