USAC recap – Aug. 25

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every other Tuesday at 5 p.m. during the summer and are open to all students. Summer meetings will take place virtually on Zoom; links for the meetings can be found on the Internal Vice President’s Facebook page. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! channel on YouTube.

Public comment:

• Hailey Valles, the campus relations member-at-large at the California Public Interest Research Group Students, said CALPIRG Students has received pledges from 112 UCLA students virtually over the summer.

Allocations:

• The council allocated $196 to the California Health Professional Students Alliance, a student advocacy health care group.
  • The council allocated $95 to the Regents Scholars Society at UCLA, a student organization providing leadership programs.
  • The council allocated $170.95 to the Students for Community Outreach, Promotion, and Education, a community service organization that aims to reduce educational and healthcare disparities.
  • The council allocated $594.66 to the Muslim Student Association at UCLA.

Special presentation:

• Assistant Vice Chancellor of Campus Life Mick Deluca announced a Public Health Ambassadors program of student workers who will be stationed across campus and building entrances to provide public health guidance and enforce social distancing. Deluca said students will not be expected to confront the public or enforce rules. Deluca also said he will ask the UCLA administration for funding to pay student workers. He said he estimates the program will create 100 jobs on campus. In-person and virtual trainings for the program will start in mid-September, he added. Deluca said he will talk to UCLA Human Resources about providing hazard pay for Public Health Ambassadors.

Appointments:

• The council appointed Amanda Gracian, a rising fourth-year biology student, to the Academic Senate Committee on Planning and Budgeting for the 2020-2021 school year. Gracian was previously a CPB member for the 2019-2020 school year.
  • The council appointed Rimsha Saeed, a rising fourth-year public affairs student, to the Academic Senate Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the 2020-2021 school year. Saeed said she will advocate for institutionalized anti-racist trainings in New Student Orientations.
  • The council appointed Lysol Patiño, a rising third-year biology student, to the Academic Senate Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the 2020-2021 school year.
  • The council appointed Michelle Fausto, a rising fourth-year political science and labor studies student, to the Academic Senate Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Relations for the 2020-2021 school year.
  • The council appointed Sophia Acosta, a rising third-year public affairs student, to the Academic Senate Legislative Assembly for the 2020-2021 school year.
  • The council appointed Luis Angel Yepez, a rising third-year biology student, to the Academic Senate Committee on Research for the 2020-2021 school year.
  • The council appointed Samantha Solemnidad, a rising third-year political science and Asian American studies student, to the Student Fee Advisory Committee for the 2020-2021 school year.
  • The council appointed Devanee Zaraeh, a rising fourth-year sociology student, to the Student Fee Advisory Committee for the 2020-2021 school year.
  • The council appointed Bradley Alvarado, a rising fourth-year political science student, to the Student Fee Advisory Committee for the 2020-2021 school year.

Office reports:

• Internal Vice President Emily Hong Van Luong said her office will release a transparency report on its progress since her election. She added the Put Workers First Committee is working to create a student workers resource guide. Luong also said her Drive Down Rent committee is working to create a housing relief resource guide.
  • External Vice President Aidan Arasasingham said his office attended the Student Organizing Summit that set priorities for the UC Student Associations, a systemwide student advocacy group. He added his office is working on revamping the Bruin Advocacy Grant to support organizing efforts. He also said his local relations team announced a town hall for the candidates for the Los Angeles District Attorney on Sept. 14. Arasasingham added that his office is finalizing its contract with EveryAction, a web service provider, to launch a digital platform for student advocacy.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Breeze Valazquez said her office is working with the Graduate Student Association and the Academic Senate to create allyship trainings for professors to promote diversity. She added the deadline for students to opt for P/NP in their classes was moved to Week 9 of fall quarter.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner Christina Read said her office will hold the Health Equity Summit on Sept. 13.
  • Transfer Representative Zuleika Bravo said her office has met with campus departments to ensure transfer-inclusive practices. She added that she is working with the Transfer Student Center to expand its transfer transition program and to pre-register incoming transfer students for the program.

Qu was the 2021-2022 Editor in chief. He was previously the 2020-2021 campus politics editor and a contributor for The Stack. He studied statistics and political science at UCLA.