Wednesday, April 24

UCLA to likely not fully reopen until effective COVID-19 treatment is available

A four-phase reopening plan released by UCLA on Friday said that UCLA will likely not reopen until an effective COVID-19 treatment is available to students and staff. (Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

UCLA will likely not fully reopen until an effective COVID-19 treatment is available to students and staff, according to UCLA’s four-phase reopening plan released Friday.

The plan eases restrictions on campus activities in four phases, with the last phase being a return to normal operations. The plan is based on public health guidelines from the state, county and University of California.

A UC Health official told the UC Regents at a Wednesday UC Board of Regents meeting that she does not expect the UC to return to normal operations until September 2021 or later. Widespread resistance to COVID-19 will likely not be possible until around 60% to 70% of the population has some form of immunity, according to public health professors.

UCLA will advance through each phase based on guidance from local public health organizations, according to the guidelines.

During Phase 1, less than 8% of courses can be taught in person and are limited to courses that train students in essential workforces. Libraries, indoor dining and gyms will not be able to open. University housing is limited to students who do not have safe alternative housing, students with disabilities and some athletes. UCLA will operate in Phase 1 in the fall.

During Phase 2, libraries, gyms and indoor restaurants can open with limited capacity. No more than 20% of courses can be taught in person.

During Phase 3, around 50% of courses will be taught in person. Small gatherings, noncontact club sports and campus tours will be allowed. University housing will also be offered at 50% capacity.

Normal operations – such as large in-person gatherings and fully in-person courses – can resume under Phase 4. This phase will coincide with the end to most public health orders and will likely require a widely available COVID-19 treatment, according to the guidelines.

In-person classes are currently limited to lab courses in essential workforce sectors, while housing is limited to students who do not have a safe alternative housing, students with disabilities and some athletes. UCLA announced Wednesday that students who violate public health guidelines may face suspension or expulsion.

UCLA has not announced plans for winter quarter as of this story’s publication.

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here