Tuesday, April 23

Individuals arrested in connection with mail thefts at university apartments

University police arrested three individuals Tuesday morning in connection with reports of stolen mail and packages near university apartments. 

UCPD arrested Bryan Wesley Rupe, 42, Brittany Lampson, 34, and Eduardo Fernandez, 33, around 2 a.m. Tuesday, according to a news release from the UCLA Police Department. The suspects have no connection to UCLA.

UCPD officers saw the three suspects near a mailbox area of UCLA University Village Apartments on Sawtelle Boulevard, where residents had reported several incidents of theft, according to the news release. The officers then found that the three possessed stolen packages, a switchblade knife, illegal drugs and evidence of identity theft, the news release said.

Rupe, a Northridge resident, faces charges of prowling, possession of a switchblade knife, possession of dangerous drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia. Lampson, a Simi Valley resident, faces charges of petty theft, possession of dangerous drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia. Fernandez, a Lancaster resident, faces charges of petty theft and a parole violation, the news release said.

The three suspects have a court date set for Jan. 22 at the Los Angeles Superior Court Airport Courthouse.

Assistant News editor

Sherwood is the 2020-2021 Assistant News Editor for the City & Crime beat. She was previously a contributor for National News and Higher Education. She is a second year political science and communications student and digital humanities minor at UCLA.