Cops Off Campus Rally

(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)

(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)
(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)

Protesters held signs in front of the Hammer Museum calling for the defunding of UCPD in an effort to bring awareness to the movement to abolish the police. The UCLA Cops Off Campus Rally was organized by several groups, including the No UCPD Coalition and the Divest/Invest UCLA Faculty Collective.

(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)
(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)

SA Smythe (right), an assistant professor of African American studies, addressed the crowd as protesters prepared to march to the police department on campus. Smythe said that the Divest/Invest UCLA Faculty Collective was initiated in response to university police using Jackie Robinson Stadium as a detainment center for protesters on June 1.

(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)
(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)

Several cars honked while driving past the intersection. Heidi Hathorne, a second-year environmental studies student, showed off her sign to those supporting the effort from the road. “I have an opportunity to support a certain group of people,” said Hathorne. “I haven’t been outside in weeks. Now is my chance.”

(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)
(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

Volunteers demonstrated hand signs that protesters could use during the march to signal if they needed water or silence.

(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)
(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)

A protester stood from the driver’s side of a car with a sign, helping block the side of the road where the demonstrators were standing from oncoming traffic.

(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)
(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

Gabriela Vazquez (right), a project coordinator with La Defensa, spoke in support of abolishing police presence on all UC campuses. “We work hard to create alternatives to incarceration with the county,” said Vazquez. “We are working to decarcerate the largest jail population as well, which is the LA County jail system.”

(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)
(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)

One demonstrator went beyond paper and cardboard signs, printing “FTP” on the bottom of their skateboard.

(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)
(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)

After leaving the Hammer Museum, the crowd marched 0.6 miles along Westwood Boulevard before arriving at the police department.

(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)
(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)

Protesters chanted several slogans to the beat of a drum, including “UCPD has got to go!”

(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)
(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

The demonstrators arrived at UCPD around 3:45 p.m. and were greeted by traffic barricades but no noticeable police presence.

(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)
(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)

Robin Kelley (center), a distinguished professor of history, speaks to onlookers outside the police department. “This is not a dislike of individuals,” said Kelley. “It’s not about removing a safety service from campus; it’s about finding an alternative. We should use these resources for something else.”

(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)
(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)

The protesters climbed over the traffic barricades to rally closer to the police building.

(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)
(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

Protest flyers circulating on social media had encouraged attendees to bring pots and pans to the event for a cacerolazo, a form of protest that involves making noise to attract attention.

(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)
(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)

“All forms of violence are health concerns,” said Joey Li (right), a graduate student at the David Geffen School of Medicine. “Police brutality is the most direct health concern. They’re killing people.”

(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)
(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)

At the end of the planned portion of the rally, protesters continued to call for the defunding of UCPD.

(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)
(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

Following the demonstration, UCLA traffic control officers emptied water from the barricades to remove them from the street.

Naveed Pour
Senior Staff

Mehra is a senior staffer and was previously the 2020-21 Photo Editor for the Daily Bruin. Before that, she was an Assistant Photo editor on the Arts & Entertainment beat. She is pursuing a B.A. in psychology with minors in anthropology & labor and workplace studies, and she also contributes to News, Arts and The Quad.