Pro Bruin Rundown: Dave Roberts manages LA Dodgers to World Series victory, Sam Mewis scores in FA final

Dave Roberts started as a player for the Bruins in 1991, before making his way to the MLB where he played 10 years. Afterwards, Roberts was the first base coach for the San Diego Padres before becoming the manager of the Dodgers and winning the World Series. (Courtesy of Wikipedia Creative Commons)

As college sports continue to be pushed back because of the COVID-19 pandemic, professional leagues have restarted. Each Monday, Daily Bruin Sports will highlight a few standout alumni performances from the past week in ongoing leagues as we await the return of university athletics.

Dave Roberts, Los Angeles Dodgers, MLB

The Dodgers are World Series Champions for the first time in 32 years.

As their manager, Dave Roberts has led the team to five straight National League West titles, three World Series appearances and now one World Series victory.

Los Angeles finished the regular season with the best record in baseball at 43-17, before sweeping their first two playoff opponents and overcoming a 3-1 deficit in the National League Championship Series to reach the World Series. Roberts’ Dodgers defeated the Tampa Bay Rays in six games to take home the Commissioner’s Trophy.

Elected a member of the 2020 UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame class earlier this year, the Bruin outfielder from 1991 to 1994 still holds the UCLA record for most stolen bases in a single season and career. He began his career as a walk-on and finished as the team captain.

Roberts is just the second Black manager to win the World Series.

Eric Kendricks, Minnesota Vikings, Krys Barnes, Green Bay Packers, NFL

Linebacker Eric Kendricks continues to rack up tackles in the 2020 season.

The Minnesota Vikings upset the Green Bay Packers 28-22 behind a game-leading 12 total tackles from Kendricks, which catapulted the UCLA product over the 600 tackle mark for his NFL career.

UCLA’s all-time tackle leader and a Butkus Award winner in 2014, Kendricks is now second in the NFL with 78 total tackles.

Meanwhile, undrafted rookie linebacker Krys Barnes, who played opposite Kendricks at Lambeau Field Sunday, added four total tackles for Green Bay in the loss. Barnes played with the Bruins from 2016 to 2019 and now has 47 total tackles this season.

Sam Mewis, Manchester City, FA Women’s Super League

The first American to score in the women’s FA final since 2017 is also a Bruin.

Midfielder Sam Mewis, the 2014 Honda Award winner at UCLA, scored a header in the 40th minute to give Manchester City a 1-0 lead over Everton, before going on to win the game 3-1.

Mewis scored the game-tying goal last week against Reading FC, her third of the season. With the win, Manchester City claims its third FA Cup in four seasons.

Boal is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women's water polo beat. He was an assistant Sports editor on the gymnastics, rowing, swim and dive, men's water polo and women's water polo beats. Boal was previously a contributor on the men's water polo and women's water polo beats.