Friday, March 29

Pro Bruin Rundown: Griffin Canning wins Gold Glove, Myles Jack returns to lead Jaguars’ defense

Los Angeles Angels pitcher Griffin Canning finished his collegiate career sixth all-time in career strikeouts at UCLA with 301. Now only two years into his career in the majors, Canning earned the Gold Glove, which recognizes his defensive pitching abilities. (Daily Bruin file photo)

This post was updated Nov. 15 at 6:38 p.m.

As college sports continue to be pushed back because of the COVID-19 pandemic, professional leagues have restarted. Each Monday, Daily Bruin Sports will highlight a few standout alumni performances from the past week in ongoing leagues as we await the return of university athletics.

Griffin Canning, Los Angeles Angels, MLB

UCLA alumnus and Los Angeles Angels pitcher Griffin Canning became the second Angels pitcher ever to win a Gold Glove, earning recognition as the best defensive pitcher in the American League.

Canning started 11 games for the Angels in his second full season in the majors. He compiled a 3.99 ERA and had an overall record of 2-3. In terms of fielding, Canning committed only one error on the season to go with seven putouts, eight assists and a double play.

Eric Kendricks, Minnesota Vikings; Myles Jack, Jacksonville Jaguars; and Jayon Brown, Tennessee Titans, NFL

Three former Bruin linebackers are making big plays on the gridiron come Sundays.

Minnesota Vikings linebacker Eric Kendricks remained a steady anchoring force in the defense as the Vikings won their second game in a row.

Third in the NFL in tackles entering the week, Kendricks notched six tackles and came up with his first interception of the year Sunday, picking off Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford in the end zone en route to a 34-20 victory.

Myles Jack of the Jacksonville Jaguars made his return Sunday after sustaining an ankle injury that kept him out of the last contest.

Jack contributed a team-leading 11 tackles to go along with a forced fumble, a pass defense and a tackle for loss. Unfortunately, the Jaguars’ comeback bid fell short, as they went on to lose 27-25 to the Houston Texans despite Jack’s performance.

Tennessee Titans linebacker Jayon Brown, a 2016 First-team All-Pac-12 Conference selection, continues to make an impact on defense.

Brown, a Bruin from 2013-16, recorded 10 tackles and a sack Sunday, along with forcing a fumble, as the AFC South-leading Titans moved to 6-2 on the season.

In his second season as a full-time starter, Brown leads the Titans in tackles with 65.

Sports staff

Deng is currently a Sports staffer on the men's volleyball beat. He was previously a reporter on the gymnastics and women's volleyball beat and a contributor on the cross country and track & field beats.