Men’s basketball announces nonconference schedule, opens season with San Diego State

Redshirt sophomore guard Tyger Campbell started all 31 contests last season for UCLA men’s basketball, averaging 30.0 minutes, 8.3 points and 5.0 assists per game. (Daanish Bhatti/Assistant Photo editor)

This post was updated Nov. 15 at 6:37 p.m.

With only 15 days until the season starts, the Bruins finally know how they will begin their campaign.

No. 22 UCLA men’s basketball – ranked in the preseason AP Top 25 for the fourth time in five years –  announced its seven-game nonconference portion of the schedule Tuesday morning, a week after it announced its conference schedule Oct. 29.

The Bruins will open the season Nov. 25 against San Diego State as part of a season-opening event that features three other teams at Viejas Arena in San Diego. UCLA will take on Pepperdine two days later as part of the same event.

UCLA will then take on Long Beach State in Pauley Pavilion for the third consecutive season, followed by Seattle University, San Diego and Marquette, all at home, from Nov. 30 to Dec. 11.

The nonconference schedule will conclude with a matchup against No. 10 Kentucky in the CBS Sports Classic in Cleveland on Dec. 19. 

UCLA will begin its 20-game conference schedule before the nonconference portion is finished with a matchup against California on Dec. 6. The Bruins will also take on the Ducks on Dec. 23 with the rest of the conference schedule yet to be finalized. 

In total, the Bruins will play just 27 regular-season games this year as opposed to 30-plus in years past.

“We understand how lucky we are to have been practicing and preparing for games,” said coach Mick Cronin in a statement. “As for our team’s schedule, I know the guys are looking forward to putting their UCLA jerseys back on and competing. We hope to be able to play all 27 games.”

Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.