Football to play California at home Sunday following cancellation of Utah game

It will come two days later than initially scheduled, but redshirt senior running back Demetric Felton and UCLA football will play at the Rose Bowl in the second week of the season. (Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin senior staff)

In a coronavirus-filled season, Sundays aren’t just for the NFL.

After cancellations across college football all week, UCLA football (0-1) is now scheduled to take on California (0-0) on Sunday at the Rose Bowl at 9 a.m. The news comes just hours after the UCLA-Utah game was canceled because of COVID-19 concerns.

This matchup will keep the 87-year streak of the two teams facing off alive, as the Bruins and Golden Bears were not originally scheduled to play each other this season.

Like UCLA, California saw its week two matchup canceled because of COVID-19 concerns from its opponent. Cal was originally scheduled to face Arizona State in Tempe, but because of COVID-19 protocols, the Sun Devils could not reach the 53 scholarship player benchmark to play.

Cal has not played a game this season, with its week one game against Washington being canceled because the Golden Bears did not meet the 53 scholarship player requirement after a positive test and extensive contact tracing protocols.

Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.