Men’s soccer capitalizes on extended preseason with more practice on the pitch

With a start to his second season at the helm of UCLA men's soccer still undecided, coach Ryan Jorden and his staff have run distanced practices on campus. (Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin senior staff)

With the opportunity to capitalize on an extended preseason amid nasal swabs and socially distanced training sessions, the Bruins have tried to produce positive results for anything but COVID-19 tests.

Despite student-athletes training on campus, the Pac-12 did not set a start date to the men’s soccer season in its September announcement regarding the return of football and men’s and women’s basketball. With a regular season schedule still undetermined, UCLA men’s soccer has turned its attention toward strengthening the squad in practice, coming off of a year where it finished second to last in the conference.

In coach Ryan Jorden’s debut campaign, the Bruins recorded their worst conference record (2-6-2) in program history. But with the addition of nine freshmen and two transfers to the 2020 roster, Jorden and his staff have relied on this long preseason with the new recruits to capitalize on last year’s mistakes.

“(An extended preseason) has been extremely beneficial, especially for a new coach coming in and a few more of the players he recruited, to implement a style of play that he wants to move forward with,” said assistant coach Matt Taylor. “This time has been so valuable and I think the guys have grown an incredible amount.”

With the exception of an intrasquad scrimmage wherein COVID-19 testing allowed for the team to play competitively, Taylor said the coaching staff has been cautious when it comes to contact in training, whistling to halt play whenever players come too close to each other.

But after a few training sessions with socially distanced drills, Taylor said the enforcement of limited contact may be beneficial for UCLA.

“The funny thing is that if you’re playing well enough as a team, there won’t be a lot of contact,” Taylor said. “So it forces the guys to move quicker and adapt to that situation, which I think has helped on the offensive side of things.”

This emphasis on spatial awareness has encouraged both forwards and defenders to develop on the attacking end, according to freshman defender Pablo Greenlee.

Greenlee received recognition for his performances on both the offensive and defensive ends in his third year at Harvard-Westlake High School – winning Mission League Offense MVP and Mission League Defender of the Year in 2019. Greenlee also registered 14 goals and 14 assists in his final season, earning a spot on the list of the Top 101 CIF Southern Section boys soccer players of 2019.

As a Bruin, Greenlee said he hopes to continue developing his offensive performance at the collegiate level.

“(At) my position, I’m also attacking a lot, so it’s been helpful to learn and have so much time to learn how (returning players) play and the spacing on offense as well,” Greenlee said.

Junior defender Ahmed Longmire said the team’s chemistry off the pitch was also important in preparing himself and the squad for the spring season.

Longmire arrived in Westwood after playing every minute of the 2019 season as a sophomore at Utah Valley University. A Las Vegas product, Longmire said despite moving between three states in the past three years, his teammates have helped him acclimate to his new squad.

“The transition (to Westwood) has been pretty smooth, to be honest,” Longmire said. “I’ve heard from the guys that were here this past season and they said that our team is probably more close than it’s been in a long time. Everyone’s just really cool with each other and we push each other every day at practice too.”

Despite the obstacles COVID-19 protocols have posed for the Bruins, Taylor said he is hopeful for a January conference opener, and the players’ growth mentality has helped him remain optimistic about a potential spring season.

Sports contributor

Vu is currently a Sports contributor. She was previously a contributor on the men's soccer beat.