Tuesday, April 23

Damaged fiber-optic cable causes internet outage for Westwood residents

This post was updated June 12 at 6:36 p.m.

Wireless internet service in Westwood was affected Saturday after a fiber-optic cable was damaged. 

UCLA Housing’s internet service provider Spectrum announced in an automated message to users that it is working to repair the fiber-optic cable damage, which affected video, internet and phone service.

In the announcement, Spectrum also said it cannot provide an estimated time of completion for repairs.

The Wi-Fi outage affected both private apartments and University Apartments using Spectrum. It also affected some Westwood Village businesses including Starbucks and Meet Fresh.

Between 5:01 a.m. and 1:01 p.m, the hourly number of internet outage reports for Spectrum in Los Angeles rose from 8 to 481, according to Downdetector, an internet outage tracking website.

“Campus IT Services and Housing are aware of the issue and are receiving updates,” said UCLA spokesperson Ricardo Vazquez.

News senior staff

Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.