UCLA to offer self-administered COVID-19 tests in on-campus vending machines

UCLA students can acquire self-administered COVID-19 tests from vending machines on campus starting July 12. (David Rimer/Assistant Photo editor)

UCLA students can obtain self-administered COVID-19 tests via on-campus vending machines starting July 12, according to a campuswide email Friday.

COVID-19 test kit vending machines are located in 12 spots on campus including Pauley Pavilion, Ackerman Union, UCLA Anderson School of Management, Haines Hall, the UCLA School of Law, Murphy Hall, La Kretz Hall, the Neuroscience Research Building, UCLA Facilities Management and the Center for Health Sciences.

All active BruinCard holders can receive up to two saliva-based test kits each week along with a complimentary $2 credit on their BruinCards in order to purchase the COVID-19 tests. 

There have been 2,670 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the UCLA community, excluding UCLA Health, since March 2020. 

The current UCLA COVID-19 testing policy requires all unvaccinated faculty, staff and students on campus to test once a week or each time they arrive on campus if they do not go to campus weekly. The Division of Occupational Safety and Health requires daily symptom monitoring for faculty and student workers on campus, regardless of vaccination status. 

Vaccinated individuals who intend to go on campus can opt out of weekly testing by providing proof of full vaccination at a campus COVID-19 testing location. 

UCLA Health is in the process of creating a separate process for documenting vaccination status, which will be announced after July 15, according to the email. 

Students can drop off used test kits at marked collection bins near test kit vending machines between Monday and Thursday from 6 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Friday from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Test samples must be deposited within one hour of taking the test and students can expect results within 24 to 48 hours, according to the email.

Assistance with in-person COVID-19 testing and self-administered test kits will be available at 300 Bradley Hall.

Tran was the 2021-2022 national news and higher education editor in addition to being a contributor for Enterprise. She was also a fourth-year political science student at UCLA.