Lane closures, road construction from LA Metro transit projects to continue

The Los Angeles Metro announced additional traffic restrictions as construction for its West LA transit projects advance. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin)

This post was updated Oct. 11 at 3:33 p.m.

Additional traffic restrictions may be in place around Wilshire Boulevard in October because of ongoing construction for the Los Angeles Metro.

The LA Metro is currently working on two major West LA transit projects – the Metro Purple (D Line) Extension Project and the Sepulveda Transit Corridor Project – aiming to connect the Westside with downtown LA and the San Fernando Valley.

[Related: LA Metro plans to open new stations in Westwood, considers metro stop at UCLA]

From Oct. 8 to Oct. 24, Metro contractors are scheduled to drill steel pipes into the ground at Wilshire Boulevard and Gayley Avenue, according to a Metro construction update. During the evening construction hours, multiple lanes and crosswalks will be restricted, according to the construction update.

The right turn lane on Wilshire Boulevard at Gayley Avenue will be closed, the update said. Northbound traffic on Gayley Avenue will be closed from Wilshire Boulevard to Lindbrook Avenue, the update added.

Both left turn lanes and the two leftmost nonturning lanes will also be closed to eastbound traffic on Wilshire Boulevard from Veteran Avenue to about 100 feet east of Gayley Avenue, according to the update. Wilshire Boulevard will also be restricted in one lane per direction.

According to another Metro update, from Oct. 4 to Oct. 22, Metro contractors are scheduled to work on sewer lines and a storm drain at Wilshire Boulevard and Gayley Avenue.

Westbound lanes on Wilshire Boulevard between Westwood Boulevard and Veteran Avenue will also be closed, the update said. Both directions of Wilshire Boulevard will be restricted to one lane near the intersection with Gayley Avenue, the update added.

Additionally, Gayley Avenue will experience intermittent restrictions between Lindbrook Drive and Ashton Avenue, the update said.

The Metro also previously announced that traffic, sidewalks and street parking around Westwood would be restricted due to piling – a preparatory step for underground construction – and sewer work until Oct. 30.

News senior staff

Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.